All Line Cutters Will Be Shot

Vatican City

The thing is...

I have absolutely no patience with line cutters. It's so barbaric, isn't it? People who just assume that they don't have to wait in line; that they're somehow above the rest of us oafs standing like cattle all in a row. My worst qualities come out when I encounter these people. It's sad, but I don't feel all that bad about it.

So there we were standing in the middle of Vatican City, waiting in a slow-moving line to get into St. Peter's Basilica. The temperature was scorching and there was virtually no shade to keep us from melting into the concrete. We'd been in line for about an hour and a half when we got up to the entrance gate. Right as we were about to cross the precipice, a Frenchman in a plaid beret and a tennis sweater draped across his shoulders stepped in front of us. He and his wife and daughter just slid right in front of us with absolutely no shame. They smirked and continued licking their gelatto, unconvincingly pretending like they were oblivious to the mile-long line behind them. I braced myself to tell them to get to the back of the line, when Blair piped up. He jokingly said something to the man like, "Oh yeah that's ok, man. You can go ahead of us. I hope I can teach my kids how to cut in line someday too." I rolled my eyes at Blair's approach. The man either didn't speak English or the sarcasm clearly wasn't coming across. They stayed in line and I breathed fire dragon fury down their backs the rest of the way. I kept thinking to myself that if I would have handled the situation, I would have told tweetle dee to take his kid, his wife, and his preppy outfit to the back of the friggin line!

The next day we were in the EasyJet line, waiting to catch our flight to Spain. EasyJet doesn't have seat assignments so people stand in line at the gate in order to get the best seats. We'd been standing in line for about 30 minutes when the lady at the gate announced that our flight would now start boarding. As she clicked off of the intercom, I saw five people barge in front of us in line. And that's when I completely lost my mind...

I tapped one of the girls on the shoulder and told her that we'd been standing in line for 30 minutes, so she and her little friends could pick up their luggage and head to the back of the line with the rest of civilized society. She didn't even have a chance to rebuttal my shrieks before my husband whispered in my ear that those people had in fact been in line the whole time. I apparently just hadn't noticed them. The girl gave me a nasty look and turned around to board the plane. I wanted Blair to fold my body into our carry-on, zip it up, and hide me from facing this horribly embarrassing situation. For the rest of the plane-ride, I could hear the five girls talking about me and laughing at me. That was a shameful and unbearably long flight.

But still....I think all line cutters should be shot.

Comments

Reece said…
hahaha! I loved this post, it made me laugh more than once. I agree, let's just shoot all of the line cutters from now on! Including the ones here in Grenada at Gittens Pharmacy.
mccall said…
I love this story. I would expect nothing less than for Blair to use his sarcasm technique. I can see it now. And for you, my friend... that is just hysterical. I love it.
Laurie said…
Ha ha! I hate line cutters too, but the best I can do is give a glare to the back of their head. I'm impressed you would say anything, I wouldn't picture you the type!
Blair said…
In all fairness to you honey, they did only have one of their friends "saving" a spot for them in the line. Maybe public flogging for that one?
Kalli said…
One time when we were moving P. and I were huffing around loading all this junk in our truck and none of our neighbors had offered to so much as lift a finger and I was a tad miffed. Out loud I'm like "NICE OUR NEIGHBORS COULD COME HELP" before he pointed out one was in his back yard/fenced in thingy and totally heard me. He came over to ask if he could help and I felt ashamed, so so ashamed.

But that is the story of my life. Fight for the injustices only to find out I'm the real idiot in the first place.

Not that this applies to you, but you know, French people are snobs. How's that for generalization?
Brandon said…
This is hilarious! I agree, they should be shot, or at the very least, publically flogged. The French ARE snobs! I would have grabbed his stupid sweater, balled it up, and thrown it towards the back of the line. I can just see Blair trying to use his sarcasm on the heartless french family. Definitely funny.
-Kelsey Coghill said…
That's funny that Kensi said that because just the other day at Gittens I was cut in front of twice!!

Popular Posts