Late Bloomers And The Art Of Reinvention

I promised a friend I'd write a little something on fertility for a new blog she's starting. Here it goes. I promise I'm only a little crazy. And if you're struggling with a similar problem, I hope my continuing experience brings you peace. -ashley

Ash Omaha Beach

The reptile tongue of discouragement is inventive and convincing.  I know it doesn’t make sense in the late hours of the night, but I still listen to his whispering words with baited breath.  He's an enemy, I am aware, but I invite him into bed with me anyway and let his persuasive words prick my eyes, sending sleepy tears down my tired face.  It’s too late to fight tonight.  I'll let his sad words about delayed dreams lull me to sleep. 

 I’m counting on a promise, a dream, a capricious dancing image in a distant mirror.  My dream is on the playbill in bold and glitter, but hasn’t made its grand entrance on stage.  It promises to grace us with its presence before the end of the show, but my patience sometimes wears thin.  I scarf some more popcorn and wonder if we’re in the wrong theater.  Who bought these damn tickets anyway? 

Oh. 

We both did. 

So in the meantime while we wait for more characters to emerge onstage, I am learning to reinvent my life in the present.  I’m a list maker.  I start making lists of educational pursuits, career goals, hobbies, crafts.  That last one was a lie.  I’d rather file an old man’s toe nails than craft.  I get busy doing good things and sometimes I go for days and weeks without feeding my cancer of unfulfilled desire.  Life is good. 

Then I step on the train in my expensive suit and shiny heels.   I feel like a poster child for the modern woman pursuing career goals in my pumps and perfectly creased pants.  I pretend that I don’t want a newborn baby against my chest or a toddler’s arms wrapped around my neck. I pretend.  But then a two-year-old Asian baby with pig-tails and perfectly creamy skin boards the metro with her mom behind the stroller.  My modern woman exterior falls off like an over-sized costume and melts in front of this perfect creature.  She giggles and squeals as I make faces at her with the brilliance of innocence radiating through her eyes.  I laugh and quiet my voice as my eyeballs start to get wet.  I swallow hard and look up at the silver ceiling of the train car to keep my emotions from rolling down my face.  I wave goodbye and start walking home. 

Deep breaths.  The slithering snake of discouragement has turned the corner and is following me down the avenue home.  Queue the music please.  We’ve been through this drill before.  It’s always the same. 

Just when he almost reaches me, I feel a sudden encompassing feeling.  The closest thing I can relate it to is when you step into a shower on a cold winter morning.  The prickly shivers on your naked body make you want to dart back to bed.  The cold tile on your feet makes it worse and you swear you can almost see your breath in the air.  When you finally turn the shower on, the hot water dumps millions of stinging goose bumps all over your body.  At first you think it hurts, but then you realize that the harsh water has replaced any former coldness with all-encompassing warmth.  It dumps over every curve in your body turning bone-chilling agony into drenching comfort.  

That feeling covers every molecule of my soul as I walk down the sidewalk.  A smile comes over my face and the tears transform from bitter acid into sweet liquid.  Without hearing a single word, the clear thought is communicated to my mind, “You will be a mother someday, Ashley.”  In that moment, every fear dissipates.  I know it’s true.  

But the problem is that I don’t serve a Master who communicates dream fulfillment deadlines.  By all reports He’s an organized fellow, but His executive assistant consistently fails to deliver a blessing deadline in my inbox.  I keep checking to see if it's in the "spam" folder.  I can’t add it to my calendar.  I suppose knowing the precise moment might obliterate my faith. 

So in the meantime, I’m trying not to spend my life waiting for my golden ticket.  I’m trying to enjoy the sweetness I’ve been given without souring its taste with wishful “what if’s” and jealous “when me’s”.  I’m reinventing my short-term dreams and expectations.  I’m focusing on learning, being a good worker, being a better friend, and being a better lover and friend to my sweet companion.  

I won’t feel guilty when I have teary moments at church or on the train.  I’ll try not to let it break my heart when I see my husband get emotional about wanting a baby of our own.  As long as these sad moments don’t lead me into frequent and soul deafening despair, I’m going to tell myself that those feelings are simply a heavenly reminder of what we both hope to be eternally.  I also won't feel guilty when I go through periods where the desire is kept at bay.  I'll remind myself that I haven't thrown the dream out the window and that that forgetfulness is a tender mercy allowing me to progress in life.
   
"Infertility" is difficult not because you simply want what someone else has or because you want to achieve something that’s socially expected.  It’s that the label somehow chips away at what you are eternally.  It makes you feel that you can’t somehow be what you believe you were born to be.

So I choose to label myself a “late bloomer” instead.  God intends for us to be parents.  I know that.  I feel that at the center of my talents and God-given abilities is the divine nature to be a mother.  His greatest joy is seeing His children grow and progress to eternal happiness and He knows that our greatest happiness will sprout from those same experiences.  He has not robbed us.  In His infinite wisdom, I believe He is letting our roots grow strong before this dream starts to blossom.  Hopefully the delay will make that spring all the sweeter.  

Whenever it comes.

Comments

I hope this isn't creepy because I didn't really know you in high school ( I knew blair a little, so I'm not a total stalker) but I found your blog through some of our mutual friends and I love reading it! Ashley, you are hilarious and beautiful, and I love your little witty updates and gorgeous pictures. I just had to comment on this post-- my heart aches for you, but I'm SO impressed by your attitude about everything! You have so much love to give, it's obvious, and I send hugs and prayers your way! Thank you for posting this personal trial, I'm sure it will help a lot of people in the same boat. ps if this is too weird, just ignore it, and I'll deny everything later. ;)
Ashley said…
Hannah - not creepy at all. Thanks so much for reading and especially taking the time to comment. Your sweet words mean a lot. Keep stalking! Now I'm stalking your cute blog. It's a vicious cycle.
Saunders Family said…
Ash you are amazing and this was absolutely beautiful to read. I am so impressed with your faith! We struggled for a good while as well and I'm embarrassed to look back and realize I didn't handle it with even a pinky tip amount of grace as you have. Know that when it does happen, it will be a thousand times better than it would have been because of the struggles you have been through. You'll look back and your infertility battle will become a blur. We love you guys and you will be an amazing mother when the time is right.
Unknown said…
Yes. YES. That's exactly what it is. "You feel that you can’t somehow be what you believe you were born to be."

I love you.
I LOVE YOU!
My heart is aching.
But you are doing exactly what the Lord wants all of us to do with our trials, and there is someone out there reading this and taking comfort in your words....thank you for being my hero!
There are some mighty warriors being prepared for your family right now...I can't wait to meet them!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXO
Marce said…
Ashley Ashley. You're one of the most beautiful humans I've ever known-- I truly mean that. You have what I refer to as "a golden soul." Golden souls don't come around all the time, you know. They are unique, pure, and genuine. They are teachable, yet they teach those around them. They are witty yet loving. They aren't perfect, but they are perfectly real. All kinds of souls are gravitated towards those golden souls, because they open themselves up in a way that allows people to feel close to them. Yes, you have a golden soul. And I know that there are more little golden souls in Heaven impatiently waiting their turn to come and get you as a Mama. What lucky little souls they will be. Wish I could fast-forward time for you. Hug hug hug.
jaci said…
Ash, you are an incredible writer! What a talent. Thanks for sharing it. I adore you, just so you know! Can I come to NY and play with you?
Alec and Emily said…
Ash thanks for writing this. You had me in tears:). You write so well. Everything that this feels like is how you wrote it. I appreciate and look up to your incredibly positive attitude... I wish that mine were as positive as yours. I really feel that you summed it up so great when you said, "you feel like you can't somehow be what you were born to be". So true. Thanks so much for writing this and for being such an awesome example. Hope you guys are enjoying NY:)
Ali Snow said…
You're such a beautiful writer Ashley. You put into words how I'm sure so many people in your situation feel. I love that you call yourself a "late bloomer". What an inspirational attitude. You'll be a mother someday and a fantastic one at that. I love you and I'll see you in 2 weeks! Ahh!
mccall said…
I love you. So much. Thank you for being so strong. There are people out there who need to read this, including myself. You are a rock. Even if you don't feel like you are.
Kalli said…
Perfect Ash.

Really.

Timelines are silly things, they never follow the route we think they should.

I know this for a fact.
Unknown said…
Ash! I know I am not the best with words but I want you to know that we love you guys so much. Our prayers are always with you. I have been so blessed to see your amazing faith through hard times. You guys ARE going to be the most amazing parents in the world. I will always look at you guys as an example of who I want to become someday. I truly look up to you guys. I just want to ditto everyones comments.

P.S. I want to apologize... I still feel the guilt from when you took your pregnancy test at Grandma's I was not there for you like I should have been. I just want to say how terribly sorry I am for that day. I wish I could go back.
Andrea said…
Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about your post- I really needed to hear what you said. I've kept you in my prayers.
Nicole and Andy said…
Ashley and Blair,
Thanks for writing this, and it IS blessing many. You guys are a light in the world. Nicole(Iverson)Hall
Emily said…
Beautiful. Just beautiful. Your words are so powerful b/c they're so honest. Thank you for sharing.
Just what I needed to hear. You are so strong Ashley...amazing!! We too, are going through the "infertility" trial. It's not one I ever expected to have, as I'm sure you did not either. Thank you SO much for your inspiring words...always.
Dear Ash...Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I only experienced a small amount of "infertility," trying to get my second baby, and man it ate me up and swallowed me hole! I sincerely thought after I heard about my "infertility," I just wouldn't have another child! And I already had one, perfectly healthy and crazy. Like a kid with chocolate bar in his hand crying because he needs another! Greedy, greedy I tell you. I do so much appreciate the line of, "Who bought these damn tickets anyway?" Thought that...and then thought, ah yes, that was me. I signed up.

I hope this doesn't come across like I know what you're feeling or going through, but that I sincerely appreciate your attitude, optimism, and strength throughout your life. Like I said, that reptile had his stupid voice in my head and I desperately tried to not let him win, but man he took me down. Like a 65 lb prepubescent 12 year old against a high school senior. I'll look to your strength and example in the future. I have a friend who has struggled with infertility for years and would love to share this with her if that's ok? Not like I had permission, but I hadn't seen your blog in so long and I'm glad I came for a visit.

Thanks for your beautiful words. You are truly the best...even if it's been years :)
Thank you for yet another inspiring post. I just love reading your blog. You are an AMAZING woman and such a great example to me. Thank you for sharing your strength!
Lindsay said…
That was lovely. My heart aches when I hear of friends who struggle with "late blooming." But I believe you when you say that you will be a mother someday. You will. I have little doubt of that. And as hard as the wait for it is, it will be worth it. But you know that. :)
Ashley said…
Thanks everyone for your beautiful comments. One thing that has been astounding throughout the past couple of months is realizing how many people struggle with this. Cousins and friends struggling to have their first or second babies. It's hard no matter what stage you're at. It's wonderful to lean on one another and share advice and wisdom. Love you all! Thanks for reading.
The Tanners said…
Ashley, I am totally repeating what everyone else has said on your comments. But really I have never read something so honest, pure and bold. You really are a beautiful person inside and out. I just cried reading this and I admit had to go back and read it again. My little sister, Lacey, I think you know her, struggles with fertility and has adopted 2 children. As I read this my heart ached for you and my sister who longs to hold a child in her own tummy. This was supposed to be written because so many need to hear these words. Thank you for being so open, and I hope you don't mind but I had to call my sister and tell her to read this, I know it will bring her so much comfort knowing that others feel her exact pain, And truthfully it helped me be more thankful for my 3 children. There are days when I feel like I am not cut out to be a mom, and like it was all a mistake, but reading this makes me so thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mom. Thanks Ask!
Lacey Jay said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey Jay said…
Hi Ashley... lacey here. my sister was right, she did call me and tell me to read this immediately:) I'm so glad I did. I am a mother of two beautiful boys so I sometimes forget I struggle with infertility. They fulfill me in ways I never knew possible however reading this reminded me of my journey in a beautiful way. 5 yrs of dealing with fertility was the last thing I ever imagined I would go through. Its personal, sacred, heartbreaking and a chance to get to know yourself, your companion and your savior real well. Not all can handle it. Some fall, which having gone through it, I don't blame them, I was one who was lucky enough to hold on until I found the beauty in it "...everything shall for thy good" and that was yrs before I got my son. I like you knew I was meant to be a mother. I felt it in my soul. I learned to love myself and the plan that my heavenly father had in store for me in a way some people never get. It's a personal journey, in ours we were lead to know without a doubt our son was waiting for us through another path.. we merged into the adoption world not because thats what you do when you 'can't have babies' (as some people have told us) but because once we trusted the Lord with our future we learned not to look back so when the time came and he pointed that way... we went. Oct 7th, 08, I met my son, Mason. It was a reunion with more joy and understanding than I can put into words. 18 months later we 'found' our next son:) Ashley, you are an inspiration. I will always connect to infertility because even though I am a mom, it's a journey that made me who I am. I have yet to be barefoot and pregnant something that at really odd times when seeing even now strikes me to my core and I find myself whispering "your okay, just breath" Thank you for your beautiful words. Where ever yours and Blairs journey takes you, I wish you the best of luck!
Michelle said…
This is so beautiful! The description of the way you feel is exactly how I have felt in a time in my life. Thank you for being so raw in your feelings. I have finally become a mother again, but those feelings are still there. The infertility bug gets to me still, but it makes it all the more sweet when you do become a a mother.

Popular Posts