Temple



A week and a half ago I had the chance to go to the temple one evening while Blair stayed home with the kids. I regret not recording my thoughts and feelings quickly thereafter because as is often the case, what was vivid, crisp, and poignant has now faded a bit. Even so, I wanted to write down some of my feelings and my testimony of the temple, particularly for my children.

First, the temple is a place of learning. And learning, in my experience, is not a linear experience. I receive a steady strength from the temple when I attend, but bursts of intelligence and strong spiritual experiences are intermittent. So don't feel frustrated when those moments aren't constant. I believe learning is still happening and if nothing else, the Lord is testing your faith and steadiness until He's ready to provide you with more.

Second, the temple has taught me more than any other place or experience in life, about who I am eternally, the depth of my Heavenly Parent's love for me, and my relationship with my Brother and Savior, Jesus Christ. When I'm humble and truly looking for knowledge, I realize that everything in the temple is teaching and pointing me toward Christ. You will feel a love and clarity about your divinity in the temple more than anywhere else in the world. Go to the temple. Let your Father teach you and remind you of who you are and why you're here.

Lastly, the temple teaches me that I come from a legacy of faithful, courageous, and good women. That legacy dates back to Eve and certainly back to my Heavenly Mother. It gives me the strength and inspiration to become all that I'm meant to be. It gives me courage to stand up for what's right, to stretch myself beyond my current comforts, to be a patient and happy mom, and to show love to my sweet husband. I have a testimony that as we go to the temple, the Lord can mold us and change us into who He would have us be. The temple makes me softer, happier, more humble, and kind. It's because He is all those things and simply being in His house and worshiping Him there, leaves me with a part of him.

I am eternally grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As I sat in the temple, I was overcome by gratitude for the way the gospel has literally shaped, steadied, inspired, and brought light and joy to every era of my life. I don't know where I'd be without it and I feel humbled that I've been able to have it in my life. I hope that I won't take it for granted. I hope that I won't squander that precious inheritance. I am so grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts