Childhood Window

window

window 5

window 3

window collage

window collage 2

wonder

Maddy,

I haven't been great at documenting all the funny and sweet things that you do daily. I'm hoping to do better and make sure I record everything about your little soul.

I think one of your gifts throughout your life will be perceiving other people's feelings. On more than one occasion, I've seen you try to get the attention of someone who seems to be sad or lonely and then make them laugh with your adorable toothy smile. Yesterday we were in a parking lot, loading our bags into the car, when a woman walked in front of us. She looked a bit depressed, with her eyes glued to the ground. You immediately noticed her and tried to get her attention with your blue eyes fixed on her. She eventually looked up and you flashed her the sweetest smile. Her whole countenance was transformed. I watched her smile at you and that smile didn't leave her face as she got in her car and drove away. I hope that you'll always have that wonderful quality of being aware of others and looking to bring them light and joy. I think that's something the Savior showed us. He was always aware of others, even when they were seemingly invisible to the rest of the world. He was aware of them and He reached out to them.

You absolutely love animals! I know you were born with this because we don't own any animals ourselves and although we like them, I wouldn't say your dad and I are extreme animal lovers. You look out your window every day waiting for the neighbor's dog to bark. Anytime we read a book about animals or see an animal on the street, you go absolutely bonkers. We have an electronic toy dog that you can't squeeze hard enough you love it so much. I'm thinking we'll have to get a dog in our next house!

You say 'mama' all day long! I love hearing your little voice babble throughout the day. Your most perceptible words these days are mama, dada, baba, and hot. I sometimes think I hear you say thank you and bye bye, but I'm not sure. Although your vocabulary is still growing, you understand so much! You are quick as a whip and such an intelligent little girl! You understand full sentences and follow instructions when I tell you things. It really is so amazing to me how much you understand.

You love going on walks and being outside. I think you'd stay out there all day if I let you.

You walk so well behind toys and holding on to our fingers, but you're still a little nervous about letting go and walking fully on your own. That's ok though. You're doing great and we know you'll take off on your own soon.

Being a mom is challenging in lots of different ways. The thrill of accomplishing hard projects and the public compliments and affirmations that come from a career are void from my life as a mother. Some days are hard, but the majority are joyful beyond anything I imagined. I love tickling you and chasing each other around the house. I love making you laugh and snuggling with you. The other day I was rocking and feeding you your bottle before bedtime. Your hair was damp and smelled deliciously clean from your nightly bath. After you finished your bottle, you nuzzled your face into my chest and we rocked there together for several minutes. As I walked out of your room, I was completely overcome with gratitude for the privilege of being your mother. I don't do this often, but I immediately walked into my room and knelt down to thank God for your life and the joy of leading you through it.

I love you little one.

Mom.

Comments

Popular Posts