Just Show Up

From the time I was a toe-headed pipsqueak of a girl I remember singing this song in our weekly church congregation.  I remember liking it because it was a little more upbeat and cheerful than some of the other songs we tra-la-lad in those meetings. It's funny how the words of these simple songs stick with me and reveal themselves in the shadowy corners of my journey. 


When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost, 
Count your many blessings name them one by one, 
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. 


Today I am counting...
I feel blessed to have so many wonderful friends in my life.  I can't fully express my gratitude for the love I've felt from close friends, acquaintances, and internet friends over the past few months.  We've received dozens of emails, notes, and calls from friends across the globe. I know that our recent trials pale in comparison to the struggles and tragedies that some of these friends are going through, and I'm humbled by their desire to reach out to little ole' me and give a cheerful word.  

I'm also grateful for people who just show up.  We often reach out to others who are struggling and say, "Let me know if there's anything I can do."  We throw a half-hearted line out into the air and simultaneously pat ourselves on the back for doing our duty.  But most of the time this is the end of our service.  I'm ashamed to admit how many times I've done this to someone.  Wouldn't it be better if we just prayed to know if someone needs our help and then simply showed up without waiting to be asked? 

I know someone who does that. 

During one particularly difficult and lonely evening for me, I heard my doorbell buzz. Our sweet ward Relief Society president was standing there waiting with a box of yummy cinnamon tea and a container of warm chicken noodle soup.  I didn't call her or anyone for that matter.  No one, not even my husband, knew the despair I was feeling at that moment. But Someone did and I know that He told her to just show up.  She was quiet and unassuming, but sitting with her and eating that delicious soup warmed every part of me.  I shudder to think of what may have been if she didn't just show up that night. I hope I can be more like her as I help others through their trials. 

Show up. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ashley-I just read the story of your sweet little boy and my heart is breaking for you. I am grateful you are willing to share your stories, I know there are so many who need to be lifted by your words. -Kira

Popular Posts