Aware

I really will stop talking about my miscarriage at some point...I promise.  But tonight I wanted to write about some thoughts I've been having about healing.  I've been reflecting about two things I'm grateful for - two huge blessings that I was given as ways to heal and move forward.

About a month and a half after my miscarriage, my sweet friend in our ward asked if I could possibly babysit her little girls just two or three times a week while she worked.  I was slightly hesitant, but I decided that it would be a positive thing for me to stay busy while I continued to look for long-term employment. I didn't really comprehend what a huge part of my healing this babysitting gig would be.

Her two little ones are the cutest children you'll ever meet in your life.  Her chubby eighteen month old is full of giggles, snuggles, and laughter. Every time I buzz at the door, she toddles over and yelps from the other side, "Ashee! Ashee!" No matter where I'm sitting, she quickly finds me, turns her backside to me, and slowly backs up her cute bum until it safely rests on my lap. She's the happiest little person I've ever seen. Her four year old sister is just as sweet - creative, sassy, fun, and so so tender-hearted.  We had lots of fun making play stores with fake money and items for sale, baking cookies, having dance parties in the living room, and going for lots of nature hunts.  It dawned on me one day while the littlest was sitting with me on the couch watching Disney Jr. and being particularly snugly, that I wasn't as sad as I was several weeks before.  I realized what a gift I'd been given.  These little girls that I'd grown to love like my own nieces, had brought so much love and laughter to my broken heart. They made me feel like everything was going to be ok and while I anxiously wait for my own children, I realized that part of my mission in this life is to be a loving influence in the lives of my friend's children.

Several weeks later, my bishop informed me of an open position at his company.  It was a field that frankly I haven't had much experience in, so I was hesitant about whether I'd be interested in the job.  But as I submitted my resume and proceeded with several interviews, I got more and more excited about this new challenge.  A week ago I was offered the position and my first day is tomorrow. I am of course feeling the normal anxieties and insecurities that usually plague me when embarking on new journeys, but I feel a sense of excitement about the future that I haven't felt in a while. I have no idea what successes, failures, joys and sorrows are in my future. I do know, however, that God is personally aware of me.  I know he gave me the experience of nannying for my friend for a month so I could be around her little angels and feel love and light in my life again. I think He has given me this new job opportunity so that I can learn and progress in new ways. Hopefully I don't blow it. haha.

I am grateful.

Comments

Ashley! I'm here to confess that I secretly stock your blog. I guess it's no longer a secret. I've ALWAYS looked up to you, admired you, heck, wished I was you for most of my life. You are a truly amazing person and as I've followed your recent experiences it's just confirmed what I've always thought. Wish life wasn't so hard for you both right now, but I think you are handling it with grace and courage. Good luck with your new job! Know you are thought about and prayed for here in Pennsylvania!
Unknown said…
Thank you. Yesterday was...awful. I needed some perspective this morning, and you provided that. So thank you. You have such a gift for lifting people up, even when you may not feel like you're in a place to do so, and I feel blessed to have you as my friend.
Lindsay said…
How was your first day? I heard it was jam-packed, but I'm sure you handled it with incredible poise. :)
Andrea said…
Congrats on the job! Secretly, I was hoping you were publishing your first book which I would be a happy buyer of.
Sarah Dhillon said…
Hi Ashley... I was hoping to email you but I can't seem to find your address anywhere. We don't know each other very well... remember those halcyon days in Grenada?... but I've always enjoyed your blog. You have such an incredible way with words and such an honest, funny and kind voice. I would periodically check in and always hoped that one day I would read that you and Blair had been blessed with a little one. My heart broke a little for you when I read of your recent experiences. I'll keep checking in and I know that one day there will be happy news. I know it can seem like such a banal platitude... I've been there... but I also know that when someone has so much love to give and such a desire to be a mother, it will happen. There's more that I'd like to share with you but maybe not in the comments section :) if you have time to drop me a line I can be reached at sarahdhillon (at) gmail.com

Popular Posts