I'm Sleeping With A Doctor

The documentation of this year's happenings would be incomplete without including one of the greatest achievements of Blair's life.  This summer Blair graduated from medical school and officially became Dr. Willis! I don't know how this happened!  I can't seem to grasp how quickly the last four years flew by.  We've had some amazing experiences, made lifelong friends, and grown in so many ways.  I'm so proud of all that Blair has achieved.

graduation

Not only did he survive medical school, but he graduated with honors.  He worked so hard and I know he'll be an incredible doctor for many years to come.  He'll be embarrassed that I'm even mentioning this, but I think I'm most proud that he has achieved so much while maintaining such commitment to the most important areas of his life.  For two years while we lived in Grenada, Blair spent countless hours serving in the branch presidency of our church.  And soon after we arrived in Brooklyn, he was called to the bishopric.  I know that he constantly feels guilty about wanting to do more in these callings, but I'm amazed that he has committed so much of his time to serving in the church while going through the grueling crucible of medical school. I know that the Lord undoubtedly has blessed him for his efforts.

While studying his heart out and serving in the church, he didn't neglect his tag-a-long wife in the least.  He always came home and made dinner with me, encouraged me in my photography and volunteer endeavors in Grenada, and has supported me devotedly in my career since we've been back in the states.  I never once felt that he was neglecting our relationship for his career.  He still made time for fun vacations, date nights, and just general "us" time.  I am unbelievably lucky to have such an amazing companion.  I love this man something fierce and am so proud of him.

Prior to applying for residency programs, Blair shocked all of us when he decided to do radiology.  It wasn't something that I ever pictured him doing and I'm ashamed to admit that I thought it was too competitive of a program for him to get into.  But Blair was passionate about radiology and knew despite many dissenting voices that this was what he wanted to do.  He interviewed at several radiology residency programs and matched at Geisinger Medical Hospital in Danville, Pennsylvania.  I'm so proud of him for being ambitious enough to know what he wanted and go after it with such tenacity.  We're excited for the next chapter of our lives to begin next summer when we move to small town Pennsylvania.  I'll be sad to leave our beloved New York City, but I'm comforted by the fact that it's only a couple of hours away.  We'll definitely be back for many visits each year.  For now, Blair is working hard in his first year of residency as he does a required preliminary year of internal medicine at Staten Island University Hospital.

So proud of you, Dr. Willis. 

graduation2


Comments

Lindsay said…
Blake and I, too, are amazed at all Blair has managed to accomplished. He deserves every accolade you gave him in this post. :)
Maren said…
You're awesome Blair!

Popular Posts