Make Memories - Forget The Glitz

I once read a financial guru's article about how true financial success comes from the acronym S.I.M - Save, Invest, Make Memories.  I suppose we all have different interests and ways in which we want to utilize our earnings, but his advice really made sense to me.  Don't get me wrong, I love shopping for shoes, clothes, and home furnishings just as much as the next girl on the block.  In fact, Blair's had to put the kibosh on my recent endeavor to "replenish my winter wardrobe".  Let's not bring that up though...

Last night as I sat in the Town Hall Theater in Times Square listening to two of my favorite singer/songwriters, I thought "yep, this is what I want to do with my money."  No, not start a band silly.  I want to spend my money making memories with my family.  I want to travel, listen to music, learn about history and different cultures, and make memories to last a lifetime.  Maybe our kitchen table will always be a cheap slab of wood from IKEA.  Maybe we'll always have to color the patches on our couch with a brown marker to cover up the splotches of worn-off leather (I currently do this on a bi-weekly basis).  But maybe we'll have a colorful, beautiful life full of memories.

This new little band, Milo Greene, opened for the Civil Wars last night.  I liked a few of their songs a lot. They had quite the set up of guitars, drums, tambourines, a few other shaky thingys, and lots and lots of cords.  When the Civil Wars came out, all that was left on the stage was a grand piano and two guitars.  It was refreshingly simple and pure.  Their voices were perfection.  Pure perfection.  My favorite numbers of the night:

This one brought me to tears as I contemplated the words and how they relate to so many of us and our current circumstances of missing babies and future spouses that we haven't even met yet.  Blair won't admit it, but I heard him sniffling during this one too.

Why are you so far from me.
In my arms is where you ought to be.
How long will you make me wait.
I don't know how much more I can take.
I miss you but I haven't met you.



And one of my favorite Michael Jackson covers of all time. 



Have a great Halloween weekend! Go make some memories :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Great advice. Just perfect.

Popular Posts