Just A Little Peak

We’re finally settled in New York. It feels so good to have our own little place to call home. It took us a while to find this little shack, but we’re so happy to be here. Our dear friends, Lauren and Chase, let us crash at their apartment for a few weeks while we looked for a place.  Luckily, they were home visiting their family in Reno, so we were able to consider all of our housing options without rushing into anything.  We originally wanted to live in the Park Slope area where Lauren and Chase and our friends Brittany and Cody live.  In the end, we decided to live a little further south in an area called Bay Ridge.  It's ten minutes away from Blair's hospital, we get quite a bit more for our money, and it just felt like the right place for us to be.  We're on a safe avenue with great access to lots of grocery stores, shops, and most importantly we're super close to the subway.  We're also really close to our friends Erica and Cameron who we met in Grenada.  We went to church on Sunday and we are absolutely in love with our ward.  It's super diverse with people of all races, ages, and backgrounds.  Everyone was really outgoing and helpful.  We're so grateful to have such a great built-in network of friends.  

We had endless debates about whether to rent a u-haul and bring all of our furniture and other belongings to New York with us.  In the end, we decided to sell it all and just ship out kitchen items and sentimental things in UPS boxes.  We bought all of our furniture here on Craigslist for cheap, cheap, cheap.  I'm so glad we decided to do that.  Plus, it's fun to have all new things! :) Here's a little peak at what we've done with the place.

This is the living room.  The apartment came with a 50 inch flat screen TV and a wood burning fireplace. Score!



Our friend, Maria, informed us that some friends of hers were moving to Texas and trying to sell their stuff. We ended up buying this dining room table and chairs from them for cheap.


Here's one view of our kitchen.  It comes with a dishwasher which is rare in these parts.

Here's the guest room where you'll stay when you come to visit.  The apartment also has a washer and dryer, which is rare as well.  We honestly don't know how we found this place for the price.























































Blair's favorite part about the apartment is that we have a roof top patio exclusively for our apartment.  We can have barbecues up there and sit and watch the sparkly lights of New York.  It's a safe area where we can go for walks together at night.


We can laugh about what people leave out on the sidewalk for the trash man to pick up.  Everything from clothes, to furniture, and toilets.  My dad would be in heaven here! He'd be picking up every "treasure" along the way. 


We live close to a park along the water with beautiful views of the Verrazano Bridge and Staten Island.  


I love the flowers outside of the bodaga shops on the corner.  I love how patriotic everyone is, furling their flags in remembrance of 9/11.


This is our home for at least two years and I get the feeling that we're going to love it.  Don't get me wrong, we're still in the adjustment phase for sure.  Stay tuned for more adventures.  And please pray I'll find a job soon.  Thank you!! 

Comments

Lyndzee said…
EEEEEEEEK! I want to pee my pants I am so excited for you to have a real home with real stuff like real adults. Can't wait to visit...you did say the guest room was for me, right? Miss you!
Lindsay said…
Wow! Your apartment looks awesome! A washer and dryer?! A dishwasher?! And, I repeat, A WASHER AND DRYER?! I'm in awe. I love our little place, which is just up the street from you, but man, it's hard not to envy you just a teensy bit. :)
Zane and Lexi said…
Wow!! You guys will have such a great adventure. I'm loving all that natural light too :) I think you need to come visit me and redecorate my house off of craigslist :) good luck with the job hunt - you'll find something for sure.
Unknown said…
I LOVE IT!!!! I can't wait to visit you guys!! Everything about your place and neighborhood seems perfect! I am so excited for you guys!! Love you!
LOVE IT! You did such a great job decorating too :-)! Miss you
Mike and Kim said…
Wow! Your apartment looks so nice. You guys are going to have so much fun. Can't wait to hear more! By the way thanks for talking to my friends out here about Grenada. You guys are so nice. Good luck job hunting!
noelle regina said…
it looks adorable! as soon as we get settled and set up, we'll have to visit! good luck on the job hunt. i KNOW your pain.
Laurie said…
It's so beautiful!! You are going to love it!
McKenzie said…
Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous.
Ali Snow said…
You have been so busy! I can't believe how much you've gotten done! And you found all that great stuff on craigs list? SCORE! It looks wonderful! I can't wait to come visit!!!
mccall said…
The place is darling. And so crisp and clean, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Can you come decorate my place? Please? So glad you like it there - the area looks darling.
-Kelsey Coghill said…
Ashley your place is incredible!! You guys deserve it!!
I love your decorating & Craigslist finds! I only hope I will be as lucky!!! :)
Misha said…
You're place looks amazing! Awesome job decorating! Love the sunset photos too.
Marci said…
twist my arm, fiiiiinnnne, i'll come :)

beautiful place- congrats you two.
and by the way: you should apply to be the next Martha Stewart. the decor is fab.

hugs to you, you adorable New Yorker!

Popular Posts