A New Leaf - Same Old Trees

We’re two days shy of June and Blair is bundled up by the fire, studying for the USMLE. I’m kind of wishing that global warming would kick in right about now because I’m freezing my neehaws off here. I’m in Grandma’s kitchen, studying all sorts of vocabulary words for the GRE and wondering how I can get the looming post-dinner stench to leave the premises.

We’ve turned a new leaf. We’ve closed the Grenada chapter of our lives, and it feels refreshing and exciting, but not void of the expected sting of fear and sadness. I feel optimistic about the experiences and adventures that await us, but I feel heartsick that our island life is already starting to feel like a faded dream.

During our last week in Grenada, we took a fabulous trip to the Tobago Cays with our friends Vanessa & Ryan. The trip consisted of visiting the charming and quaint island of Carriacou, confronting several near-death moments as we flew over treacherous ocean waves in a wooden boat, and swimming with colorful fishes and sea turtles. I may or may not have been holding Vanessa’s hand and silently imagining how it would be to drown in the ocean during the entire boat experience. I think I need therapy to deal with my sometimes irrational fear of water. Anyway...we had a fantastic time!




















We enjoyed fun goodbye parties with our friends during our last few days on the island. It was hard to say goodbye to the church members. The day before we left, Daniela’s family and the Smith’s brought us goodbye gifts and squeezed us extra tight as we said farewell. The Smith's live in a small wooden and tin house, so their gifts came at no small sacrifice to them. We were so grateful for their thoughtfulness and kindness. We stopped by each of the young men and young women’s houses to say goodbye and the tears rolled down both of our cheeks as we drove away each time.




















The hardest goodbye was with our best friends Stefani , Jerod, and their angel daughter Emma. I’ll be honest, I’m still a little homesick for them. We feel such an overwhelming sense of gratitude for our wonderful years in Grenada. We made friends that will last a lifetime, made memories that we’ll always cherish, and experienced important changes in our marriage, our testimonies, and our hearts.

The morning after our arrival in Utah, Blair and I woke up feeling like it was Christmas morning. We relished in the feeling of carpet on our toes, the comfortable bed, the toasty shower, and the delicious food. More importantly, we’ve been so happy just to spend time with family. Last week I went down to St. George to visit my sister, Lindsay. It was so good to see her! We spent time playing with her little ones in the warm sun and stayed up late talking over bowls of salsa and chips just like we were teenagers.

Blair is busy studying every day for his Step 1 Medical Boards that he’ll take in July. I’m “busy” traveling, spending time with family, doing photo shoots, and studying for the GRE. I was pretty set on taking the GMAT and applying to business school, but we unexpectedly felt a distinct and strong impression that I should get a Masters in English Literature and Creative Writing instead. This sudden change in plan surprised both of us, but we’re crossing our fingers and moving forward with what we felt I should do. Wish me luck. Or maybe just pray that I won’t fail. Either way…

Comments

Maria said…
Congrats to Blair for finishing his first two years of med-school. I am so sorry you had to leave Grenada. I know how you feel and the emptiness that comes from not being there. I am so happy for you to do your masters in English...it's PERFECT for you. And you know NYC has the best schools for that. Can't wait to see you Ash. Please let us know if you need anything. Love you!
Kalli said…
When are we hanging out!?

I long to go to grad school for that very purpose, however, I feel that is a few (long) years off for me. Enjoy it my friend, and impart your wisdom as you go.
Kalli said…
Also, your fee for family photos. We are in need.
Richards Fam said…
I'm homesick for you too, but being friends for life is just fine with me! Good luck with your studies, and get a lot done. I'll be there soon enough to distract you! Lots of Love and stuff!!
Andrea said…
The GRE? That is awesome! With the few writing samples you've put on your blog I can see how English would be a natural choice. You'll do well on the GRE- don't sweat it. I can't wait to read your first novel.
Laurie said…
I can't wait to see you! If you are sick of cold weather, this is the perfect place to come. Right now I think it is 96 degrees! I'm sad you left the island life. I enjoyed living vicariously through you.

You are still coming right?
Mike and Kim said…
Good for you Ashley! That is so exciting for you guys. It is hard to leave when you have made so many great friends. Mike and I have been so grateful for our many experiences outside of Utah and being on our own. Good luck with all your future endeavors. Good luck to Blair with his continuing Med School adventures!
So crazy that you guys are already home!! I'll be honest, I am going to miss reading about your island adventures :-) Actually, I enjoy reading anything on your blog, because you really do have a way with words. I have no doubt you will excel in an english literature/creative writing masters. Good luck to both you and Blair in your studies and new adventures!!!

Popular Posts