Transatory Transitioners

Transitions are always hard for me. Every August at the beginning the school year, my best friend and I used to call each other bawling our eyes out. Amidst the excitement of crisp papers, clicking mechanical pencils, and the smell of new sneakers, we always felt scared and overwhelmed by the prospect of new classes, new friends, new transitions.

I've never quite conquered my transition fear.

My stomach has quickly tied itself into a figure eight knot every morning for the past week as I awake to the realization that our island time is officially coming to a close. 

The only solace I feel is thinking back to two years ago when Blair and I embarked on this tropical journey. I was just as nervous. Just as scared. And it turned out to be so much better than I ever imagined.

So. much. better.


So for my remaining week in paradise I'm taking mental pictures of this

University-Pool

Soaking up moments with people I love

Stef

Emma

And trying not to cry my eyes out.

University-Pool-2

I was going to end with something inspirational.

I can't lie.

Goodbyes are the pits.

Comments

Laurie said…
So sad. But maybe whatever lies next for you will be "so. much. better." than you ever imagined!
Casey said…
That is crazy you guys are already done there! Wow! I know you have probably heard this before, but really soak it all in. You will find yourself thinking back to Grenada later on. :) Hopefully, we will get to see you soon!!
Jamie said…
I HATE transitions too. I hope things go well and that it will be a smooth one. Do you know where you guys are going?
Maria said…
I agree with Casey, I can't believe you guys are already leaving. It seems like you guys just got there. I know how you feel, the island changed me and I will never be same. Enjoy every moment of it. Maybe we all can go in a couple of years and have a reunion.
Richards Fam said…
okay I'm crying my eyes out reading this. Let's stop trying to figure out what is next for you and start figuring out how you can stay longer :( I'm calling the airline, pretending to be you, and changing your tickets. So don't be surprised if when we take you to the airport they say you can't leave till November!! I'm not helpful at all, I know.
Change is tough. I tend to hate it too. It stretches us, yanks us out of our comfort zones, and wrenches us from the places and people we have come to know and love. But as we break into the higher altitude we can look back and see how far we have come and how much we have learned. And we can look forward and get excited for the next summit.

I hope that next summit somehow includes you two moving to the DC area. Staying in touch through the blogosphere is inadequate. Good luck wrapping up this remarkable chapter in your lives. You certainly seem to have made the most of it.

-Andreusus Marshilinius (my philosopher alias)
Shelby said…
do you know where you're moving yet? i'm saying congrats instead of how sad i am for you, cause really we were just jealous for the last 2 years you had in paradise, and now welcome to the real world! haha, just kidding. i'm excited for you, change is good.
Angie said…
I freak out with transitions too. I think most people do. This means you are totally NORMAL. I know it's hard to leave behind people you love, but there are people here on the mainland who love you too. So perhaps looking forward to big hugs from the mainland will keep your chin up. Love you girl.
mccall said…
will we ever figure these transitions out? i think not :(

not only would we cry our eyes out every august, i remember sitting outside, on the phone with you, crying about moving to grenada & pittsburgh.

and now look at us. all of the transitions in our lives have been such blessings. so why do we get so scared? i'll never know.

here's to your next adventure. it really will be so. much. better than you can imagine right now.

please call me so that i can cry with you again. those are some of my fondest memories.

i love you, dear friend.

Popular Posts