Sing With Me

It's a drab and rainy day here in Grenada. A nice excuse to sit inside and drink hot apple cider while my AC blasts cold air on my face. The Grenadians bust out their jackets and sweaters on these kinds of days, apparently so they don't get pneumonia from the temperature dropping below 1,0000,0000 degrees. Meanwhile all of the Americans are driving down the road with their heads hanging out of the windows, soaking up every droplet of cool air they can.

Seminary was great this morning. I drive about 25 minutes to pick up Josh who lives in town, then we drive back and pick up some of the other students on our way to the church. My big challenge is figuring out how to keep the conversation going with a teenage pubescent boy. We talk (memo to the reader - "we talk" means I'm babbling and he's giving me one word answers to my questions)about his family, school, we dabble in the awkward territory of girls, and circle back to the weather. Those 25 minutes with him, I admit, are sometimes excruciating. I find myself running out of conversation starters.

Last week, however, Josh saw my ipod sitting on the middle consul and asked if he could listen to it. My peripheral vision caught his music choices and it made my insides giggle. Apparently fifteen-year-old Grenadian boys are really in to Taylor Swift's Love Story...? He listened to that same song three times I kid not.

So now Josh and I don't necessarily converse.

We sing.

He blasts all of the teeny bopper songs I have on my ipod and we belt them out as we drive to seminary. It sure beats me trying to lecture him on life while we drive. He probably wouldn't listen anyway :) So we sing. The songs that he likes. And hopefully he knows I love him. Then maybe when he needs to talk, he'll feel comfortable enough to talk to his Justin Bieber/ Taylor Swift/ Rihanna duet partner.

Speaking of music...I'm busy editing photos all afternoon. Here's what's in my ears. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!








Comments

Cute story! You'll be such a good mom to your teenagers one day :-)!!
XOXO.... is Christmas here yet?!!
Brandon said…
Singing can bring all sorts of people together Apparently...Blair was misleading me. He said, once, that you couldn't sing. You can't be that bad or Josh would have jumped out of a moving vehicle. I'm glad that you found common ground!

Popular Posts