Tearing Off The Scabs

It’s funny how some childhood scabs never really fall off. They start to get that itchy feeling when they’re about to lift up at the edges and break free from our skin. But somehow a few of those scabs cling to our inner fibers longer than we expected. Some go unnoticed and hidden from our view for years, but inevitably we have to confront them and tear them from our souls. Today a friend and I talked about some of those scabs. We talked about how unkind or thoughtless words have stuck to us and caused us to question our abilities, our potential, and ultimately our worth. The silly thing about it is the people who said those things weren’t intentionally trying to hurt us and if they knew we were carrying the scabby remnants of their words, I’m sure they would be heartbroken. I think we both realized today through tear-filled faces and half laughing, half crackling voices that we need to let go of those insecurities. At some point it’s time to let go and let the new flesh grow. At some point it’s time to reinvent life. We don’t have to remain crippled and scabbed over because of someone else’s words or deeds. We can be new again.

Comments

Willis Family said…
Dad used to always tease me about my cookie making ability. My cookies were so hard he would call them "golf pucks." I'm not even sure what a golf puck is but all I remember is thinking I will Never make cookies again. :) hahahaha
I am proud to say I can finally make cookies and feel somewhat comfortable taking a few extra to a neighbor. That is one scab....gone!
I love you sis. I miss you terribly. I complain to Warren all the time that I never hear from you. I know you are doing wonderful things where you are at. I just wish that face of yours was a bit closer to home.
mccall said…
Please tell me that I wasn't one of these people. I know that I could be pretty ruthless back In the day.
Hi Friend!!! :-)
I feel less scabby today...that was a much needed day for me!
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearst...I always liked your cookies! The crunchy ones are the best :-)
Ashley said…
Kears - I can't bake period. At least you conquered the cookies part.

McCall - You weren't one of those people. Although I still have nightmares about you tying me to the ab roller in your dark basement with those body bags ;)

Lindsay - Love your guts. Off with the scabs!!
Brandon said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon said…
Well said! I was told once in little league, that I would amount to nothing. Because I wasn't the best hitter or the best catcher, I needed to seriously think my life over before I really set my mind to anything. That scab always kinda stuck with me. It was a definite ruthless thing to say to a 7 year old by his coach. I need to let that scab fall off and be done with it.

Popular Posts