Seven Years Without Writing

I'm so overdue for a blog post that I've contemplated shutting this whole popsicle stand down and pretending it never existed. I always hated those journal entries where you have to update your posterity on the last seven years. "Well, I won my sixth grade spelling bee. I got braces and started my period. 9th grade was cool. One thing led to another and I got into college."

But I guess one of those entries will have to suffice...

Here's what we've been up to lately:

- Blair is in his fourth term of medical school

- Fourth term of medical school = hellish crucible

- Blair is still a mathematical genius. I used to pretend to need help with my AP Calculus homework so he and I could study and laugh together. Now he rescues me when I miscalculate something on our budget spreadsheet and have a penniless panic attack.

- I still get giddy when Blair comes home. Don't get me wrong, we're not poster children for perfect marriages. We argue over farts and toilet seats just as much as the next couple. But lately I feel an increased sense of gratitude to be married to my absolute best friend. I love you, Blair.

- After Blair's first round of midterms we went on a Pirate Ship Cruise with the other S.O's. Luckily Blair and I had a great time. Meanwhile, ten of our friends were hurling their guts out over the starboard side of the ship. That was very pleasant indeed.

- I've been busy with the S.O Board this term, planning events, going to events, volunteering occasionally, etc. I'm really grateful we have such a good student spouse organization here. I really don't know what this experience would be like without it.

- I've been a bit of a shutter bug lately, going on photography outings and photo shoots with some friends here. Check out the latest here.

- I'm part of a kickball team. Insert laughter here. I literally couldn't sleep the night before our first game. I kept imagining myself totally wiffing it when I tried to kick the ball or running to third base instead of first. Luckily, our first game was a total blast even though we lost. I didn't wiff it or draw too much attention to my lack of coordination. Yay for kickball!

- I'm still teaching seminary to the youth every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 5-7. Some mornings I don't know how I arrive at the church with seven teenagers in tow. I swear the Holy Ghost is driving the car because I sure as cuss am not awake yet.

- These seminary kids amaze me. We've had nearly perfect attendance from most of the kids for the last two months. They're studying their scriptures at night and they come to class having already read what we're going to study that day. I'm pretty sure I never did that when I was in seminary. Their testimonies of Christ are strong and I can see it in their actions. They are kinder to one another, they always thank me for breakfast and clean up the kitchen afterward, they're trying to be examples of goodness at school and at home. I love them more than I can explain. It's going to be hard to leave them next year.

- Blair and I are still petitioning for the Baby Committee in heaven to let one of our little nubbins through the line. We're waiting patiently, but are secretly insanely baby hungry. If you have any pull with said committee....please put in a good word for the Willis's. Thank you.

That's it for now, kids. I'm back on the blogging bandwagon. Yipppeee!

Comments

liz said…
i dont know anyone on this said "commitee." (as usual)
however, I cannot imagine two better people to raise a whole flock of "nubbins". yes, i wrote flock. and i meant flock. I bet this flock is also impatiently asking when they get to come ...
Reece said…
You always write something that makes me laugh. I'm praying for you guys, you will be an amazing mom!
Krista said…
Glad your back...and I agree with Liz. You guys deserve a whole flock and you will be the BEST mom.
Kami Beck said…
Hi Sis! So glad to hear what you're up to. You make me laugh and cry--I love you. Let's skype soon--please!
Maren said…
Ash, I love you and miss you. We should skype soon! And you still need to teach me how to take pictures.
anne said…
There is NO way I'm laughing at you being on a kickball team. I am actually quite jealous. I used to play all the time at recess before I moved to Fruit Heights and then it was non existent. I was so sad that no one played kick ball there. So, at your next game kick it extra hard for me. :)
And I'll see what I can do about getting you a baby. :)
Brandon said…
Ash, As has been stated in other comments, I know of no other couple that deserves a litter of kiddies more than you and Blair. I don't know that I have any pull, but I will add The Willis' to my nightly communications with hope that they will see what we all see and will grant your petition just like they did ours. :) I've missed your posts, and I'm grateful for the update! I, too, miss kickball. Where did all the fun games go? Maybe it's time I teach Nick how to play.
Jazzy said…
So I've decided you're one of my favorites. It's a done deal. Adding you to my blog roll as soon as possible whether you want me to or not.

If I remember correctly, you said something about moving to NYC? We're actually moving back next summer--most likely in NJ--but anyhow we should talk and be friends and stuff.
Hale-O There said…
Hey Ash- it's always a good time reading your blog posts. Kickball is the best, way to go. I love your photography, you've really got a great thing going. And I am so glad you're living on love- I've never envied those going through med school, it sounds so tough so I'm glad you're almost done with the schooling part. In our journey to get pregnant the thing I became accutely aware of is God's timing. It's hard to wait when you feel ready, so I hope your baby blessing comes soon.
CHELSEY said…
Good update..I'm so thankful for Blogs. Really. just a few minutes here & I know a little bit about what' y'all are up to. LoVe

Popular Posts