Driving Miss Crazy: French Edition

Blair Driving

Men and women are not meant to drive together. I don’t care how full your marriage is with rainbow cuddles and slobbery smooches. It’s a universal truth that cannot be altered. My husband would argue that I shouldn’t be allowed to ride passenger in any person’s car, regardless of gender. I dare say that 85% of our marital road bumps have come because of disputes over driving skills or the lack thereof. I fully acknowledge that I’m a chronically nervous passenger. I hear my mother’s voice reverberating through my own wind pipes as I yelp at Blair that he’s driving too close! I give him the lecture verbatim that my mother gave me as a sixteen-year-old about pressing the brakes as soon as you see any inkling of red brake lights in front of you. I can’t help myself. I blame my mother.

With our vehicle disputes in mind, I decided to try to tone down the “mother of a teenager in driver’s ed” bit during our drive through France. We enjoyed the serene views of deep green fields and picturesque chateaus for the first few hours from Beauvais to Normandy. Our GPS highlighted the way and kindly directed us to all the necessary turns. But despite the new scenery, I eventually dozed off to sleep with the chocolate éclair smudges still on my fingers. I’m sure my slumber was a welcome gift for Blair. He could drive in peace without his wife spastically slamming her foot on her imaginary passenger break every twenty minutes.

Drive to work

I must’ve been asleep for an hour or so when I recognized that the car was stopped and the sound of someone frantically trying to speak French slid down my eardrums. Blair was stopped at a huge toll road with about fifteen different booths full of drivers flashing either prepaid toll road cards or tossing change in the machines. Traffic was congested and people were in a hurry to get through the toll lines. The problem was that my husband had neither a prepaid card nor a lick of change to drop in the machine and from what he could gather, they didn’t accept credit cards.

Blair is usually pretty cool-headed, but I looked over at him and saw beads of sweat on the face of sheer panic. He was recklessly blurting out sentences composed of French, English, and Portuguese as he tried to explain his predicament to the lady in the booth five rows down. He may as well have been singing Happy Birthday in Japanese because she had absolutely no idea what Blair was saying. She shouted something at him that neither of us understood. He pushed the button again and she answered yelling the same thing. This went on for about ten minutes, while Frenchmen behind us honked and yelled. Meanwhile I was doubled over in the passenger seat laughing hysterically. Finally the lady lifted up the gate and we sped down the road in the getaway rental. We couldn’t stop laughing for hours.

Until we almost drove off a cliff to our deaths that is. You see, as we made our way to Normandy our trusty GPS told us to enter a roundabout and take our third exit to the right. When we looked at the third exit, however, it was an unpaved road spiraling up to a ramp that led to heaven knows where. I protested that there must’ve been a mistake – that road certainly wasn’t the right one. But Blair rolled his eyes and headed down the bobbling road anyway. I panicked and started screaming that we were driving onto an off ramp! Turn around! Turn around! I yelled. Right as we were rounding a bend, we saw a huge construction truck barreling toward us. I screamed and screamed as Blair swerved to the side and continued driving up the ramp. When we got to the top, what did we behold? An UNFINISHED freaking freeway. Nice, Mr. Willis. Nice…

You’ve officially failed driver’s ed.

Comments

Ali Snow said…
You're such a great writer Ash. Good story. I would have freaked out at the toll booth too. I can't believe you had NO money on you.
Seth and Leia said…
Amen to not driving with men. I'm seriously considering installing one of those passenger side brakes. As for toll booths, I can't tell you how many times I've only had $3.84 but they're demanding $5. In the end they never actually need the full 5. I'm beginning to think of toll booths like a flea market. Haggle 'em down :)
Maren said…
The whole time I was reading that I was thinking if when Ry and I picked you guys up at the airport. It hadn't even been 5 mins of driving before you were already pressing your imaginary break and saying whoops in as quietly and nervously as possible. You're hilarious, Ash! I love you!
Laurie said…
So funny! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks my husband is a crazy driver. Have you ever heard this line from him in return...

"If everyone drove like me, there would be less accidents, less break lights, and everyone would get to where they were going on time."
Ashley said…
Oh my gosh, Laurie! I'm pretty sure you copied and pasted those words from Blair's lips. haha! We need to start a support group. Women Married To Bad Drivers Anonymous.
Blair said…
The Semi was going 3 miles an hour. And it was an on-ramp, for the record.
pronto said…
ash... for the first time maybe ever, i might have to side with blair. today my former roommate and her boyfriend pulled up alongside me at a stoplight. she said i "buzzed by" them a long time ago and she told him to catch me. and then i apparently started "weaving through traffic." she told him i was a "crazy driver" (i was shocked!) and he would have to speed up to catch me so they could say hi. about 30 seconds after the light where we chatted turned green (and only about 4 lane changes later), i looked in my rearview mirror and couldn't find them anywhere in the mass of cars behind me. what a grandpa driver! i not only have to side with blair, but you should come ride with me and you might be begging to have him back. i have been pulled over 17 times... but i've never caused an accident. i may drive fast, but i'm definitely a better driver than most out there! :)
LOVE YOU!
mccall said…
To say you are a nervous passenger would be the understatement of the year. My heart started racing just THINKING of you in my passenger seat as I'm driving.

:)
shelby said…
me + seth = first paragraph
Blair said…
I would like to call McCall Newland to the stand. :)
Mike and Kim said…
Ha Ha, I am laughing so hard when I read this. I am constantly slamming on the imaginary breaks when Mike is driving. He's a good driver, but I don't know what it is with guys but they do drive way to close behind people. Most of our disagreements have been in the car I must say.
Brandon said…
After having to control my laughter at this crazy adventure, I stopped to reflect on the frew times that I've riden with Big B, and I have to say that he causes me a lot less stress that most that I've riden with. Emilie does that thing where she grabs the handle. If there was an accident, I highly doubt that the Medical Examiner and police would say, "She would have lived, had she grabbed that handle." My point being, as you said, Men and Women cannot and should not drive together. LOL.
That just made my day!! I think it must be in our jeans, becuase I do it ALL THE TIME to Dust. But I do think you got MOST of it! :-)

I love the way you write these stories....It always feels like you're sitting right next to me, theatrically acting out every minute of the story! MISS YOU!!!
Andrew said…
Thank you for capturing Blair so well with this story. And thanks for the morning laugh!
Andrew said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett said…
Men are the best drivers... period... end of discussion.
Jake & Becca said…
I also think that we should have our own personal thermostat! I had no idea things like driving and control of the thermostat could even be a problem before I was married. Wish I could go to France though!

Popular Posts