Old Vibrance

Unemployed

We were walking along the cool and sand speckled sidewalk of Portugal when I saw him. His leathered skin, his blue parka, and his paper-boy hat. He was smiling at the passers-by. Not in a jovial, light-hearted way, but the way one smiles when wisdom shines in their eyes and hope fills their every glance. He looked like he'd lived a long life. And at the end of it, he was sitting happily on the boardwalk letting the sun warm his back. Something about him was vibrant.

Old Art

We were walking to the Louvre on a Sunday in France, excited to see the pieces of art that we'd studied in text books and seen cliche copies of on dorm room walls. A giddy feeling brewed in my stomach as we strolled along the path. I looked up and glanced at the people around me and saw this happy old man stumbling along in his olive corduroy garb. He had a near permanent grin on his face as he made his way to the ancient art. I wondered what adventures he'd lived through and marveled at how someone so aged and impaired could still be so enthusiastic about life and learning.

Today I feel a new sense of who I am and for absolutely no reason. My contract period with Overstock has officially come to an end which means as of today I'm unemployed. And yet somehow I feel excited for my new chapter of life. I'm excited to pursue new opportunities. I'm excited to challenge myself with photography and set goals for myself mentally and physically. Something new is on the horizon, and I hope to approach it with enthusiasm.

Here's to living vibrantly.

Comments

Sarah Dhillon said…
Great post Ashley! Thanks for sharing... your blog always makes me smile and I've really enjoyed the stories from your travels.
Laurie said…
Love those pictures!

Popular Posts