Fever's Hot With The Lights Down Low

Do you remember what your favorite song was when you were seven-years-old? Something from Cyndi Lauper, Bon Jovi, Janet Jackson, or maybe something from the Mickey Mouse Club? Mine was the song Make Me Lose Control by Eric Carmen. Do you know that song? The words go something like

Turn the radio up for that sweet sound. Hold me close never let me go. Keep this feeling alive, make me lose control. When I look in your eyes, I go crazy. Fever's hot with the lights down low. Take me over the edge, make me lose control... (hahaha - I'm blushing just writing it!)

I remember getting a giddy feeling in my stomach every time it would come on the silver ghetto blaster. I fantasized about dancing barefoot with my future husband in our kitchen to this song. Although I never said the "s" word as a kid, I distinctly remember thinking that the bridge of the music when the pace slows and the tambourines cling was the sexiest thing I'd ever heard.

I don't think normal seven-year-olds are supposed to be thinking about stuff like that. In retrospect, I wonder why my mom didn't think something was wrong with me. Maybe she just thought I was a mature kid? Maybe we couldn't afford therapy? Or maybe it didn't come as a surprise when she compared it with all of the other shenanigans I was in to.

You see, I was somewhat of a deranged child. I didn't watch cartoons, The Sounds Of Music, or Mary Poppins. I was obsessed, however, with a tv series about a man-beast (Vincent) and his love for a beautiful district attorney (Catherine Chandler). Vincent lived in an underground world beneath New York City where his gruesome looks were less important to his peers than were his caring and benevolent personality. Together, Vincent and Catherine had many adventures both above and below ground level where their love for each other continued to grow. Here's a picture of the lovely couple. Try not to laugh too loud.



Man, he's hot stuff isn't he?

Not only would I rush home from school to watch this show that my mom recorded, but at seven-years-old I actually thought that I was Catherine Chandler (the main character in the show). I used to wear my hair with it parted to cover one of my eyes like she did and I legitimately stressed out over my responsibilities as a district attorney for my town. In my adult life I desperately searched for a lover named Vincent. Alas, I settled with someone named Blair (totally kidding sweetie -haha!)

Anyway, now that I've divulged two skeletons from my childhood closet. I thought I'd share the music video from my favorite childhood song. You may need a tissue to dry your eyes and your pants after you watch this. I saw this for the first time today and nearly died laughing! From the 80's hairdos to the hilarious outfits, this is sure to make your day.

Enjoy :)


Comments

Willis Family said…
Love it! Did you purchase the song for your itunes library? hehe
-Kelsey Coghill said…
Ashley! I loved that show when I was little too!! I also was in love with Johnny Carson when was like 3, and got really really mad when Jay Leno took over! & yes for some reason I was allowed to stay up that late! haha youngest of 5 I guess... and my favorite song was Honky Tonk Moon by Randy Travis!
Ashley said…
Of course I purchased it for my library. I've gotta dance with my man in the kitchen, don't I?!!
Marce said…
dude there was some creepy crap out there when we were little, wasn't there? soooo funny! thanks for sharing-- definitely made me laugh...and long to see a picture of middle-hair-part-little-girl-Ashley :)
Blair said…
Our "Beauty and the Beast" marriage all the sudden makes so much sense...
I'm just sayin'.
Kalli said…
yup

I watched that show on the DL too.

Now I only wish I remember what it was called.
mccall said…
is that video for real? that's hysterical!

i also love this song!

can we please go back to our childhood? just for a day?
Ashley said…
YES, I love that song! Thank you for sharing, the song and your "skeleton"- they both made me laugh! I always love how you help take me back to being a little girl, cuz seriously- I totally relate to the memories you share. What a vivid memory you have!
Oh. My. Gosh. I LOVED THAT SHOW TOO!!! So glad I'm not the only one!

Happy weekend!
Shelby said…
so you know how Gray's Anatomy always names their episodes after songs? Well you will be happen to know that Season 2 episode 3, is called "Make Me Lose Control"
And you're not too crazy, I used to watch 90210 and Days of Our Lives all the time when I was about that age.

Popular Posts