Portobello and Bird Poop

Portobello Road Sign

Portobello Street

Portobello Street 2

Rainbow Apartments

Alice's

Signs

The red coats are coming

Abbey

Westminster Dirt Bag

Westminster Bars

Ivy Wall

School Carnival

Parliament

Blair and Ash Westminster

On our second day in London we woke up early, picked up some bread and fruit from a local store and headed to Portobello Street. We shopped along the colorful markets and bought a painting. Right as I was contemplating an irrational purse purchase, an unpredictable London rainstorm drenched us and caused me to forget about that adorable patchwork wool purse. We jumped on the metro and headed to the Royal Palace to watch the Trooping of the Colors, an event that only happens once a year. It was quite the spectacle of uniformed men and pooping horses. We tourists pay big bucks for that kind of entertainment. Seriously though, it was fun to see the traditions that the British have maintained in their culture. I admire their ability to hold on to those cultural roots while still embracing change.

We then headed over to Westminster Abbey. The architecture and history in that place are amazing! The ceiling in the lady chapel, the paintings on the walls from medieval times, and the tombs of the kings and queens gone past were spectacular. After the Abbey we admired the ivy growing up the surrounding buildings and decided to go to a carnival fundraiser that the boy's choir academy was holding. We bought some bland hot chocolate (apparently the British don't believe in sugar and salt) and some cupcakes. We chatted with some delightful English women and then headed over to Parliament and Big Ben.

As we sat down for dinner at Garfunkel's that night, Blair noticed that a bird had pooped on the camera bag that I had around my shoulder. I squealed and squirmed as I searched for my anti-bacterial hand wipes to clean off the bag. Just as Blair said, "Well, good thing it didn't get on you..." we both saw the pile of green goosh in a perfect pile between my thumb and pointer finger!! I dry-heaved and then washed my hands six times. Yuck!

After our gross English lamb shank dinner, we roamed through Trafalgar Square and Leceister Square before we went to see Les Miserables. The cast was phenomenal and the story touched me deeply. It reminded me that there is goodness, redemption, and peace in a sometimes very rotten world. I've been singing "I Dreamed A Dream" ever since.

Comments

Andrea said…
This is awesome! I'm writing down all the places I would like to go someday. I'm excited to see all the places you visit. Looks like you two had a blast. Yay for Europe!
shelby said…
so did you see the queen? jen and i did when we went, it was awesome.
mccall said…
I can't even stand looking at your photos :-) They are AMAZING! I love the one of you (in your previous post) where you are standing in front of the pond, not looking directly at the camera. It captures your sweetness, I love it!

Glad you guys had a good time and that you're home safe.
Marce said…
a. Your trip looks in-cre-ab (imagine i knew how to frenchly-write that). i'm jeaaallous.
2. Your photog skills are stu-unning. seriously! what the heck. i love how you just dove in and conquered that snap snap snappyness.
and Z. i think you're one of the most beautiful people i've ever known. inside. outside. and in between. just sayin.
can't wait for more Europeness! makes me feel like i'm there experiencing it all :)
hug hug hug.

Popular Posts