You're My Home Now

Today I grabbed an old blanket out of the garage, spread it on the green grass, and fell asleep under the blossoming cherry tree. The blanket reeked of a wonderful combination of lawn mower clippings, gasoline, and that canvas smell that wafts through a camping tent on a rainy night. I love that smell. When I woke up I felt hot and sweaty, despite the chilling breeze in the air. It felt good to be home for a little while.

But then I thought of Blair, our friends, and the people we love in Grenada and I realized that home isn't really my parent's house anymore. This is where I grew up. It's where Lindsay and I stayed up late eating bowls of cereal and divulging every twitterpaited detail of our dates. This is the grass I mowed every summer, when I tried to look stylish and my dad made me wear those stupid ginormous safety glasses while I pushed the mower. These are the walls that heard the fights, the laughs, the advice, and the blessings.

And yet, although our miniature apartment in Grenada doesn't have all of the comforts and conveniences of this home, it's where Blair is. It's where we're building our future, our traditions, our marriage. It's what everything else in our lives was preparing us for. He is home.

I came home to get this ankle inflammation rubbish taken care of (which I did - yipppeee!), stock up on some supplies for our Europe trip, and spend time with my family. My sister Kearstin piled all of her kids in the car and drove six hours to come see me. She's one of those people who would do anything to show you she loves you. It makes me cry thinking about her driving long hours with screaming children in the back of the car, just so her kid sis would know she loved her and wanted to see her. Thanks for being such a good big sis, Kears.

I ate at Cafe Rio, shopped, watched movies, went to the Sweet's Candy Factory, shopped some more, took pictures, and spent the rest of my time working and going to doctor's appointments. It has been so nice to be home for a bit. Here are a few pictures of the bunch.

Kears & London
Kearstin & London

London Lou
I want to eat those chubby cheeks.

London Smelly Face
The is London's funny face that she does on command. Hilarious!

Mama's Boy
My sister-in-law Kathryn and baby Cole

I love dirt
Our photoshoot got a little messier than planned...

Going On A Trip
But then Cole changed clothes and decided to go on a trip.

Ally Cat
Ally climbing the cherry tree.

Grandma Willis
Sweet Grandma Willis, smiling and laughing as always.

Kami Reading
Kami reading bedtime stories to her boys. She's such a good mama.

Bedtime Blues
Baby boys with bedtime blues.

Comments

Reece said…
What a sweet post. I couldn't agree more. Home is where our hubbys are!
Blair said…
Love you sweetheart. Come home soon.
Laurie said…
I'm picturing you mowing the lawn while wearing goggles, nice!

I laughed when Baby Cole decided to change clothes and go on a trip.
Love the pics and that you figured out your ankle issues (you'll have to tell us all about them when you get back)..Have a great visit with your family and see ya soon!
Richards Fam said…
Ash, I miss you but really...did you have to mention eating at cafe rio? Haha, I'm excited for you to come home!

Popular Posts