Writer's Block & Travelogues


















(Photo from the Limes Beach Day on Saturday)

I've got a bad case of writer's block.  If anyone's still reading this blog, I'm sorry my writing quill has gone missing.  I'll try to find the quill soon and force it into submissive labor.  In the meantime, here's a rather bland history of recent events.

Grenada's in a huge drought at the moment.  The normal green and lush landscape is dry and brittle.  Although this is considered the dry season here on the Spice Isle, this season had been particularly dry.  We just didn't get enough rain during the summer months and we're feeling the effects now.  Today was the first  24 hour period in a week that we've had consistent running water.  This week consisted of several days of drizzling water and a few days of showers from water bottles.  I'd give more details, but I don't want to frighten the grandchildren.  Next time you carry your Evian water bottle out of the gym think to yourself, "I wonder what it would be like to take a shower with this water bottle...."  Needless to say, the shampoo never really comes out and you end up wiping off a lot of the soap instead of rinsing it clean. 

Our landlord has purchased five huge tanks of water that should keep us stocked up for a while. We chatted with him last night outside of our apartment door.  After he nonchalantly told us that officials were reporting that Grenada would be out of water in 13 days, he mentioned that he'd be leaving back to Florida this week. He walked away with a "Good luck, suckers!" expression on his smirking face. Seriously though, I think we'll be fine. We have water back now in our apartment and we're learning a lot about the wisdom of conservation. 

Blair's busy studying for midterms next week.  He has been studying so hard.  I admire his determination to do well, especially while juggling his non-secular responsibilities that take up a good deal of time. 

As for me, I'm still working part-time for Overstock.com.  They have been so good to me, letting me continue to work from here.  I'm so grateful to still have a job.  On my days off I try to get out and practice photography and volunteer at the Limes After School Program.  I'm still teaching seminary every other day at 6 am, which continues to be challenging and extremely rewarding. I'll leave you with a video clip that reminded me of my seminary kids.  I think we don't give teenagers enough credit sometimes.  In my experience, they're some of the bravest people I've ever known.  Sometimes I envy their courage to do what's right no matter the consequence.  Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Comments

Thanks for the update. We'll pray for rain on Grenada. I'm curious about Blair's "non-secular" activities.
Keep on friends!
I love this movie! I am a cheer coach for a junior high in bountiful and want to show it to them so they know that there's more to being a cheerleader besides just the cute uniform...at least that's what I always thought anyway :). Thanks for this!

Popular Posts