Shake Your Groove Thing



I got my groove on last night at Casey's workout/dance class. She taught us a dance to this Michael Franti song which I'm mildly addicted to.  I realized last night that the world isn't how I imagine it in my narcissistic mind.  You see I happen to be under the false impression that I can dance pretty well.  I took ten years of ballet classes and my parents drained their wallets to pay for five years of cheerleading and gymnastics in my adolescence. And even though my years of dance training are over, the Ashley that rocks out in my mind can do moves that my body has never and surely will never do.  I imagine myself leaping, turning, and shaking my toosh Beyonce style. 

So dancing in front of the mirror-covered room last night was a bit of a self esteem blow.  Casey's body rolls and neck whoopteedos looked cool and funky.  Her reflection in the mirror looked like a well choreographed music video, while my reflection looked like someone choking on a pork chop.  My lurpy arms were dangerously out of control and I think I sprained my big toe trying to do a turn.

 In an effort to keep my fragile self image ignorantly intact, I think I'll stick to dancing in rooms without mirrors.

Thanks for the fun class, Case!

Comments

Zane and Lexi said…
you crack me up! I, too have a similar feeling when I stick around for dance class... looking like I'm seizing while trying to swing my hips :)
which is why I snuck out after my body was twisted and bruised!
That is a really fun song. When I turned it on to play it my little girl started bouncing (her form of dancing). I'm sure it's really not as bad as you make it seem because you are talented at a lot of things. Oh and the music video really brought back saudades.
Maria said…
Haha! I felt the same when I did all the Single Ladies Dance. I hate those mirrows...they got me distracted with my bad dance moves. The worse part was when I looked up and I could see Casey trying really hard not to laugh at me and I don't blame her...I know I looked hilarious.
Reece said…
haha, too funny Ashley
Haha..I think we all feel like that :)
Julie Winckler said…
I also took 10 years of ballet, although you wouldn't know it from my performance last night. It's embarrasing! How does she make that wierd head roll look so good??
anne said…
O I so know how you feel. :) I've been going to Zumba and the girl's in front teaching the class can shake their booties like no one's business. I honestly have no idea how they do it. Well, I thought I did until I got home and tried to do it again. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I guess I don't look as good as I thought I did. Sad.
Hahah I love this post! I laughed out loud the whole time! At least you did not biff it on the mat last night! haha! Oh if we could all dance like Casey!!
At least we're having the time of our lives, and getting a great ab work out from laughing so hard!
Ashley said…
And just for the record, I did the dance for Blair in the kitchen a few minutes ago...

This was his response. This is a direct quote:

"Ash...that was weak sauce."

He's sleeping on the couch tonight.
OK...what a fun song! Going on my list of iTunes purchases :-)

If we skype tomorrow, will you show me the dance!!! PAA...LEASE!! XOXO
Blair said…
Wait a minute.... Just to set the record straight. I did not say "Ash... that was weak sauce" about your dancing. It was in a different context. In fact it was in the context of a compliment. But compliments don't sell papers do they sweetie?
Casey said…
Haha! Ashley you crack me up! I love that Blair had to set the record straight too. :) I seriously think all of you girls looked so good doing the dance last night. This is a funny post. ha!
P.S. Maria, please don't think I was ever laughing at you! :)
Laurie said…
Ha ha. That song reminds me of Brooklynn because we heard it while we were driving one day, and when we got home I heard her randomly singing the "I love you, I love you, I love you" part. It was so cute. Now we sing that to each other all the time.
Ali Snow said…
I love that you admit to things like this. We all feel the same way.

Popular Posts