Yellow Checkers & Knee Scrapes



I went to the Limes after school program today to play kickball and duck duck goose with these little tikes. Sometimes I'm shocked by their existence. These miniature people are sweet and loving, full of hugs and kisses. The girls love playing with my blond hair until it's in knots and twists. The boys are playful and energetic. But despite their child-like colors, you catch glimpses of the dark influences that scratch their lives. I wish they all had consistent meals, loving parents, and good educators. But they don't. And we can't promise that for them. It's nice to get to play with them and help as much as we can though. I hope I can volunteer at Limes more frequently. It's good for my soul.

Comments

-Kelsey Coghill said…
Hey Ashley!! This picture is awesome! I took some good pictures of you today too! I'll put them on facebook & if you want I can email them to you... the kids DID love your blonde hair! haha they always tell me I have the longest hair they've ever seen. I hope you can come back :)
Willis Family said…
So sweet sis!! The picture is beautiful and such a cute boy.
Jamie said…
I love this picture! I know what you mean when you talk about their lives. I had the opportunity several years ago to go to Ghana, Africa for the summer and teach. The children had absolutely nothing and they deeply touched my heart. I kept a very detailed journal of my experiences so I would always remember how I felt. You are very lucky to get to live in a place where you get to experience that everyday. I am positive that you are a huge example and a blessing to them.
Kalli said…
That pic is bomb. I think he should come live at my house and I will feed him ho-ho's and peanut butter sandwiches all day!
Ashley said…
@kalli - lol!!! Oh man I want a ho-ho today. Dang it.
Mike and Kim said…
He looks like such a sweetheart. I think that would be such a rewarding thing to be able to spend time with kids like them. You are very lucky! Hope you guys are doing well all the way out there.
what a wonderful experience! love you sis!

Popular Posts