Wake Up! Time For Seminary!



5:00 am: Alarm goes off. It's time for early morning seminary.

5:15 am: Teeth are brushed, breakfast is in my belly, and I'm sitting in my underwear with cold metal spoons on eyes. The Pioneer Woman says this reduces ugly balloon bags underneath my eye balls and I believe her. I pop my stinging contacts in my eyes and they give a nice little irritated rain shower down my cheeks.

5:30 am: I'm dressed with scriptures, lesson plan, and breakfast for the kids in my bag.

5:45 am: I'm knocking on Vonet's window waking her up for seminary. She's usually outside ready for me to pick her up, but today's the first seminary day for the semester. No one comes to the door and I walk back to my car.

5:50 am: I'm knocking on Shaphon's door waking him up for seminary. Grandma comes to the door and says her typical line, "He's sleeping." Usually I smile and sarcastically say something along the lines of "Yeah. I know. I was peacefully sleeping thirty minutes ago too. Which room is Shaphon's?" And then I proceed to go in and wake him up for seminary. But today I was feeling particularly benevolent and decided to let the poor chap sleep.

6:00 am: My seminary room is all set up. Scriptures are out on the tables, study guides are neatly aligned, and pencils are sharpened ready to go. My cheesy and life altering (I'm quite sure) object lessons are on the table. And not a single student is present.

6:15 am: I'm disappointed and slightly gleeful that no one has arrived. I start thinking about climbing back into my bed if no one shows up in 5,4, 3,2....dang it. Are those teenagers I hear?!

6:18 am: Four students all ready in their school uniforms are walking down the hill toward me - cheerfully ready for seminary.

6:20 am: We're singing, praying, talking about the scriptures and I'm remembering why I'm completely in love with these twirps. Is it weird that I love teenagers? (Ask me if I feel the same in 15 years) Right now I think teenagers are powerful, smart, and more courageous than we give them credit for. I admire their determination to get up for early morning seminary when they don't have parents who are religious and encouraging them to get up. I admire that they're trying to live righteous lives.

I admire them.

Comments

Maria said…
You made me cry with this post. Is so true...those kids are amazing. You don't know how much I miss those kids. I love that pic of you and Akim...tell him hi for us. And tell the rest of the clan that we miss them and we are so proud of them.
Zane and Lexi said…
First off, I ADMIRE YOU! You are amazing and the perfect seminary teacher for those kids! Also... these kids are amazing. I just love this photo (who took it?)

I may have cried too reading this post :)
Kalli said…
Listen, had I known that when I met a big eyed, wide smiled, waif of a thin mint who disarmingly housed the spirit of a giant during those days at the XanGo I wouldn't have talked your ear off so candidly on that flight to Vegas about you know, the birds and the bees.

Heart you.
Ashley said…
Kalli - I love talking about the birds and the bees with you. And the fact that this was the topic of our very first conversation together, makes me love you even more. lol.

Lex - Elder & Sister Macintosh took it here when they were visiting. They're the seminary missionaries for the Caribbean.
Good for you! You have such a big heart and love everyone! It's no wonder we got along so well in the MTC.
Brittney said…
I think you will be teaching seminary your entire life!! Good for you. Those were some of my sweetest experiences.
Laurie said…
I love how you write.
Kandyce said…
Umm, Ashley, you're simply amazing.

The End

xoxo, Kan

Popular Posts