Love Letter Via Santa Claus

Christmas 2003 Blair sent this letter to me. Unintentional rhyming...

Dear Santa Claus,

Well Mr Santa, I know that this letter is a little late, but I knew I had to send it sometime. No don’t worry, I’m not asking for more toys or trains, this letter isn’t one of those kinds. Instead this letter is a thank you letter!

Now, it was quite some time ago so I’m not sure if you remember me, but mine was a “best-friend order” about 10 years ago. But this was not just any “best-friend” this was the best “Best-friend order." To be honest, I didn’t think that my letter would be answered, to be even more honest I didn’t deserve that it be answered. However despite my lack of qualification and in your pure kindness you answered my call. Thank you!

I’m happy to report that for these past 10 years she has been the best best friend that I could ever imagine. Besides never having to change her batteries, she’s been a constant example of a Christ-like life that I have been able to lean upon, when otherwise my wobbly knees would have collapsed. Compared to all the other best friends in the world, I’ve never seen another like her. However, she’s taught me not to compare and even more, I’ve learned from her that there’s no telling what kind of treasure a soul can have even when the outside looks a little different than you and me. She’s helped me to find the God given happiness and joy that I have inside of myself.

Santa, I also wanted to thank you for sending the built-in humor package, I know it must have been extra hard to find. With all the toes, fingers and hair follicles that I have left I can’t even count the times that she's made me laugh and giggle. And besides just make me laugh, she helped me to discover my real laugh. You know? That laugh that you have really deep down inside of your belly. I don’t know how she did it, but after years of slumber, she was able to get it out of me.

What I want to know Santa, is how did you find one so beautiful? Good night Santa, they don’t even make them that way anymore. (Timeout . . . Miss Holding, could you please stop laughing at my corniness? . . . Go ahead . . . stop . . .). Ever since I drew that picture in the second grade, I thought that the blue eyed, blonde hair girl was a myth.

Santa, I know she’s just a doll. But is it possible for a doll to have such a love. Not a love for me, but a love for life. A love for big things like mountains and sunsets and a love for little things like plants and children. Mr Claus, even you would be amazed at how much love that one little toy doll can have, I lost track of the lives that it’s touched years ago, but I can tell you that the seeds she’s planted will have limitless reach in the eternities.

In all sincerity Mr. Santa, (How can I be sincere when I say “Mr. Santa”?) . . . I truly want to thank you for the gift you gave me those many years ago. The mark that she has had on my life is far beyond the worth of this simple letter and these silly words. Unfortunately this pen and my writing don’t have the ability to express my gratitude for my friend. And so I was hoping to ask you for another Christmas present . . . look past this piece of paper that you have in front of you eyes, forget about the awkward way I say things and look into my soul. For there it is written without fault the way that my friend has changed my life. I thank you with all of my heart for sending me my friend.

Love,

Little Blair Willis

Comments

liz said…
oh my gosh. what a romantic/funny/true letter. blair is on fine catch. but then again, so were you.
Laurie said…
Yep, I think that about sums up Ashley in a nutshell.
Brandon said…
Wow! Who knew that Blair was a poet and a good one at that? You two are so amazing! I, too, thing that this summed you up Ashley. I can't wait to read more

Popular Posts