Reach Me

I've created a habit over the course of my life of laughing at myself frequently. When I wear forest ranger outfits, make social situations awkward, or say something ridiculous I try to laugh about it and move on.

Probably much like many of you, however, I often times get discouraged about my less trivial shortcomings. Toward the end of my mission in Brazil I went through one of the most discouraging moments in my life. It was like one morning I woke up and all of the mistakes of my life were lying in a rotten heap on my doorstep. Every impure thought, every sin, every unkind word spoken followed me like sticky grime on my shoes. After several days of feeling overwhelmed by my imperfections, I decided to call my mission president and ask for help. I had never called him for help before, so he knew something must have been wrong when he heard my voice.

As I explained to him what I was feeling, he quietly and patiently listened. In the most loving and firm voice my sweet mission president told me, "Sister Holding, you MUST have faith in Jesus Christ. I promise that He loves you and He doesn't want you to feel this way." My mission president then challenged me to study about repentance and Christ's atonement for the next several weeks. During those weeks I learned that Heavenly Father doesn't send those feelings of discouragement and despair about our mistakes. He invites us to come unto Him and let Him help us to change. This doesn't mean that changing is easy. Becoming like Him is a lifelong process that requires daily effort, repentance, and Divine help. But I learned that His loving arms are extended all the day long and ready to comfort us when we're ready.

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this tonight.

I started reading about the tragedy in Haiti and as the tears rolled down my cheeks I thought about He whose stretched out arms can pull all of us into safety. I don't know what I can do other than donate money. But I can pray for them tonight that His arms will reach them. And I can thank Him for letting His arms reach me.

Read here.

Comments

mccall said…
i have been praying sooo hard for Haiti. just today, i have been wondering how i can help, and the only thing i can think of is to pray and donate money. i just wish there were more that i can do.
Blair said…
Thanks sweetheart for you words. I needed a good reminder of how Heavenly Father communicates with his children. I love your sweet testimony. Miss you dearly.
Mike and Kim said…
Thanks so much for that. I too have been feeling that way. I sometimes get overwhelmed with how imperfect I am, especially when we are seeing the signs of the second coming. It is such an exciting/scary/overwhelming thing. What helps me is to know that I am doing the best I can and that's all Heavenly Father asks of us. Daily repentance and faith in Him and the atonement. You are such a great person and are a great example to many people!
Marce said…
i love your golden heart. so much!

xoxo

Popular Posts