My Dear Soul,



This Christmas I finally did it. Thanks to my friend Ariel who has been typing her fingers off for the past year, we now have volume 1 of our story. I never would have gotten around to doing this myself and I'm so grateful that Ariel was willing to let me hire her for a meager pittance. As many of you know, Blair and I have been friends since fourth grade. We "went out" in junior high and then decided that we probably should just be friends until we were old enough to date. Dating age rolled around and while we dated other people, remained best friends, and pretended not to be insanely smitten with one another, neither of us really admitted that we felt a little more than friendship until the end of our senior year. We casually dated our freshman year of college and then I helped my best friend pack his bags for his two year mission to Portugal. We knew that our friendship was something special, but I think we both expected to eventually move on. And in some ways we did. We grew up.

We wrote each other while Blair was in Portugal. I dated a lot of people, almost got hitched, and then decided to go on a mission myself. May 25th, the day Blair was scheduled to get home from Portugal, I left to Brazil. We never saw each other. I knew that my decision to leave probably meant that I'd lose him forever. And although the thought made me nauseated, I fully expected to come home to meet him and his beautiful wife.

Blair dated every girl under the moon while I was in Brazil. I was learning Portuguese and spreading the gospel while he was going to school and perfecting his dating skills. In December 2006, I returned home. I had almost no expectations. I loved Blair as the best friend I'd ever known, but he hadn't written very frequently and I thought he must have moved on. The night I came home, my old pal showed up at the doorstep. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my best friend that was suddenly more handsome than I'd remembered, we both cried, and then we picked up laughing and talking like we'd done three and a half years before.

I'm so happy to have a book of the letters we wrote to each other during those three and a half years. It's something we're treasuring and we hope our children love to read. Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I thought I'd share some of the good letters once a week during the month of love. Stay tuned!

Go dig up those old notes, letters, or emails from your love. Sometimes we just need to REMEMBER.

Comments

KO said…
What a wonderful keepsake to treasure. I remember the two of you flirting in Mr. Harris' officer prep class (Blair was SBO President and Ash was Head Cheerleader). You two made everyone around you sick (with envy, I think) at how great of friends you were and how "in love" you were at such a young age. From that early time, I somehow knew you two would cross paths later in life and end up together. You're perfect for each other! Glad you have letters to remember the journey...
Maria said…
This is such a sweet post. Can't wait to see letters you two wrote to one another. You two are perfect for each other.
Zane and Lexi said…
you two have the cutest story! I can't wait to hear some of your "love letters" :)
P.S. according to all your ever changing darling headers, it looks like you need to give me a lesson in Photoshop!
I remember you would share some of those letters in CTM. They were good. I'm excited to hear some more of them. You two really are the cutest couple.
mccall said…
You two didn't have any of us fooled. Through all of your dating other people, it was clear to me that you two only had eyes for eachother (gag me). Seeing how happy you two are... it was worth feeling like the third wheel every time I was around you two! Love you both!
Maren said…
im so happy you two waited for each other. you are perfect together! and i ditto what mccall said... none of us ever doubted you guys ending up together. love you both!!!
Ashley said…
You two are so darn cute I love it!!! What an amazing and inspiring story, and to share that book with your kids and their kids- that is priceless!
Laurie said…
That is a great idea to keep all of your letters in one place!

When you said that Blair dated every girl while you were gone, I instantly remembered meeting him for the first time. Brett and I happened to recognize him while he was on a date at a restaurant. Awkward! I probably ruined it for that girl because I was asking him about you. Your welcome ;)
Ashley said…
LOL. I remember you writing me about that, Laurie! You're the best friend ever. That poor girl....lol
Kalli said…
awww the tenderness... what a great story to have
Kami Beck said…
can't wait to read, sis! love ya!
excited for Feb. to read those fun letters! XOXO
Marce said…
um, did you know that reading this post made my heart skip a beat? seriously. i remember watching you and Blair from afar in high school...and dangit, i always knew there was just that extra somethin somethin. it's like, the world was right when Blair and Ashley were together.
and it still is.
thanks for sharing your romantical self...its inspiring.

xoxo
It was my pleasure, Ash! I look forward to seeing your choices. If you want, I can tell you my favorites too. :)
It was a lot of fun to get that insight into your lives. My sister-in-law Abby appreciated the letters I shared with her.
Marci Joy said…
This is a beautiful idea! Darling love story.
noelle regina said…
ashley... I LOVE THIS!
can't wait to read your letters.

we missed you over christmas. maybe we'll see you soon.

xoxo
pals said…
This is sooo sweet.
Hailey Jones said…
you are absolutely adorable.
the both of you.
and your love story is melting my heart.

wow.
what a treasure.

Popular Posts