Pinching: A Last Resort


{Sorry to post a picture of the back of your head on my blog, Brittany. Your ponytail looks fabulous though and I couldn't resist posting the face of that darling toothless twirp in front.}

Tuesday Evening Reflection Checklist:

Cleaned house: yep
Worked: yep
Made dinner: kind of
Lost my drawers in front of a lot of people: yep
Pinched a nine-year-old kid out of self defense: yep

Just another day saving the world...

Today I tagged along with some amazing medical school student wives that volunteer three days a week at an after school program for underprivileged kids. These women really are amazing. I admire their selfless service and patience.

Me?

Maybe not so much.

The program started out well. We divided into age groups and started on our lessons. I took the 3rd and 4th graders and sat them in a circle. We read part of a book and started working on a worksheet. About 20 minutes into that, the old ADD started kicking in. Marbles were coming out of pockets, noses were being picked, and chairs started shuffling around and screeching on the cement floor. My next idea was to play charades. Everyone likes charades,right? Well, that lasted about 60 seconds and stopped abruptly when some of the kids started acting out killing each other. I put a stop to charades after the second homicide. Activity number three was my regular last resort when playing with kids...down by the banks of the hanky panky. I don't really know what that song is about. Do any of you? I don't know if I want to know.

After leaping with the bullfrogs down by the hanky panky, we headed outside with the other groups to play on the soccer field. Keep in mind that this soccer field is surrounded by mostly men, lounging about along the sidelines. Also keep in mind that the kids today were acting like they'd been sitting under caffeine IV drips all day at school. They were off the walls, fighting each other, punching and kicking. We distracted them with jump rope, races, and eventually snack time.

In the middle of the caffeine high, however, one particular kid kept jumping on my back and clinging to me. It was funny and playful at first, but he just kept going choking me and clinging onto me. At one point he started sliding down my body with his tight grip. Unfortunately my shorts today were a little on the loose side. As he slowly slid down my body, so did my drawers. My shorts were literally down to my calves and he still wasn't letting go. A cute little girl standing by was yelping, "Miss Ashley! Miss Ashley! Your underwear!" But I still couldn't get him to let go! So I pinched him. I pinched a nine-year-old. He let go in a hurry and I walked away.

Am I going to be a bad mother?

Comments

Kalli said…
Nope, you're going to be awesome. I pinch my kid when he bites me. It's the only thing that will make the kid release!
justin said…
Ashley, as your lawyer, I must advise that dropping your drawers in front of children is a crime here in the USA. Fortunately for you, you are unlikely to be extradited, since we don't care about kids outside the USA. I can't guarantee you won't have to "register" when and if you return to the USA, but with any luck and a call to a congressman I know, you should be okay. Semper Fi. JDH
mccall said…
i am sitting here in the hushed library trying so hard not to laugh really loud right now. i can just picture your self-defense mechanism (pinching) kicking in as you're being pansed. gosh, i miss you.
Maria said…
Your posts just keep getting better and better. I am glad you pinched Syrone.....crazy boy! You are going to be an amazing mother. Really, your kids are going to be lucky to have you as a mother. Thanks for coming to the Limes. Next time will be better....I hope so!
Maren said…
Hahahaha.... Only you Ash! Remember the time you got in a punching/wrestling fight with the boy in 4th grade and we were in 5th... You like picking on the younger kids don't you ;)
Ashley said…
Maren, that was self defense!! That little monster started the fight by pulling me off the handle bars and chasing me around the soccer field. He deserved it. LOL.

Plus, I apologized to him once we got to high school. I think I walked up to his group of guys friends and said "Hey, sorry for beating the crap out of you when we were in elementary school." hehe.
I don't mind the back of my head showing on your blog :)...You did great yesterday at Limes...the kids were just being crazy! I can't believe you actually got your pants pulled down!
Ashley said…
Thanks, JDH.

That's why I pay you the big bucks to be my attorney. Sickos like me need one. Keep me posted on the call to the congressman.

-The Client
Laurie said…
Oh my gosh! That is hilarious!

Of course you are going to be a good mom. however, my best advise to you right now is not to even think about that until it comes. Live in the now with just you Blair and enjoy every minute of it.
mccall said…
Who did you beat up in 5th grade?
Mike and Kim said…
Oh wow that is so funny! I would be totally embarrassed. Also, you will be a great mother. I would have done the same thing. :)
Ashley said…
I don't know his name, Cally. Some kid with glasses that thought no one but him could cross the monkey bars. lol.
Brandon said…
Oh my word, Ash! Only this could and would happen to you. I'm sitting in my geography class trying not to laugh outloud. I think people are beginning to think that I'm having a siezure or have Turret's Syndrome. You are going to be a great mom! Don't even worry about it. Pinching is a great "attention-getter." He totally deserved getting pinched.

Popular Posts