Just Breathe And Let Yourself Be



High school is a labyrinth of discoveries. You juggle the facades of who people think you are, while trying to decide which image you're going to snatch and claim as your true self. You want to be something that's all your own, but most of the time you quietly conform to everyone's assumptions. Luckily there are moments that you peel back the layers and decide that you don't give a damn what anyone thinks. You breathe deep and just let yourself be.

I don't remember my English teacher's name, but I do remember that he always wore cardigans and smelled like V8 juice. We'll call him Mr. Cardigan. Mr. Cardigan taught us about poetry that year. As we read and dissected every written line, he made one hundred year old words come alive for me. I felt something deep about those words. I discovered that the secrets, insecurities, passions, and joys that ran through me were in some dead person's soul as well and that brought me comfort. Those poems made my game of juggling facades seem like rubbish.

One day Mr. Cardigan gave us an assignment to find a poem that we were passionate about, memorize it, and recite it in front of the class. I chose a poem by Walt Whitman and let the words print themselves on my memory. The words meant something to me personally and nearly brought me to tears as I read them. I was excited and a little nervous to recite my poem that day. When class started, I was surprised that most of my classmates didn't seem to feel very passionate about the poems they had memorized. Some cheated off of the words written on their hands and others just flat out read a paper in a monotone voice. I was the last person in the class to recite my poem. I frantically tried to decide how to act like I needed to read my paper and pretend like I was too cool to care about this.

When Mr. Cardigan called my name, however, I stood up on top of my desk like a lunatic, recited my poem perfectly with all of the passion in my heart, and sat down. A few football players in the room laughed and Mr. Cardigan looked surprised and confused. My heart was still beating fast as the bell rang and students shuffled out of the room. Mr. Cardigan pulled me aside and said he would give me 5 extra credit points on this assignment. I didn't know if he was proud of my public display of craziness or if he was trying to offer some consolation to accompany my apparent social suicide. For that moment I didn't care about the people that made fun of me though. I had taken a big breath and just let myself be and it felt wonderful.

I'm trying to remember that now. For the past few months I haven't been able to get a story out of my head. The pieces don't fit together quite yet, but I'd really like to write it down. It wouldn't even be good enough to publish I'm sure, but I feel like I just need to at least write it. The purpose in writing the words may be just to help me reconcile the meaning of this story in my own life and mind. I don't know. But my juvenile mind is currently glued to my proverbial high school chair and my cheer-leading skirt is itching my thighs. I'm scared of what people might think if they read it. I'm afraid of trying.

Help me remember to breathe and just let myself be.

Comments

ash said…
beano,

i love you and i love everything you write! you've left me in tears several times. write it and share it. even though i have no doubt it'll be amazing, we will still love you even if it does stink. :)

LOVE YOU!!!

pronto
Maren said…
That was very Dead Poets Society of you Ash! Haha... Now I'm curious to know who Mr. Cardigan was..

As for whatever you've written - you need to share it! You're an incredibly talented and thoughtful writer! I live reading everything you have to say!
Ashley said…
Haha. I know, Mare. I think I was going through a weird Dead Poet's Society phase. I can't remember Mr. Cardigan's name!! He was kind of balding it that rings a bell...
The Caldwells said…
you are a beautiful writer!!! BREATH & WRITE :) love you
Laurie said…
That is so awesome! I'm glad you stood on your desk.
Mike and Kim said…
You need to go for it! I love reading your blog. You are a talented writer and I wish I had that talent. I hope you write it and I can't wait to read it.
Brittany said…
I, like Maren, live to read EVERYTHING you write. As Hunter tells me everyday "you can do hard things!" Do it girlfriend, there is no pain in writing...right?!
mccall said…
i think what maren meant to say was "love" reading everything... but for me, i really do LIVE to read what you write! you have ALWAYS and WILL always be my #1 inspiration. no really. i could never even attempt to tell you how much i have looked up to you since 4th grade. now WRITE IT! but of course you have to share it. i can't even imagine how beautiful it will be.. just like you!
Brandon said…
Ash (I don't have any cute nick-names for you like some of your other friends), I think that you should write it. I love to read the blogs you publish, I look forward to it, I usually wait until you have a couple of them that I haven't read so that it's like I'm reading chapters in a book. You are a very articulate and passionate writer and I think that even your worst story will be better than most professional writers. You should write it and of course you should post it. Have faith and take the leap. You can do it, and there are PLENTY of people on here who will read it and support you! Good Luck and I look forward to reading your story.

Popular Posts