Change Of Plan

I just got done eating beans and rice for breakfast (due to aforementioned obsession recently with dinner food in the morning). It's funny how different foods and smells can make you homesick for people and places, isn't it? The staple Brazilian food that greeted my taste buds this morning triggered an aching for my Brazilian home. I started rummaging through my pictures of my mission in Brazil and sat down in my chair and sobbed. I'm not sad about my mission being over nor am I disappointed about where life has led me. My tears were simply a byproduct of extreme gratitude.

Sometimes we think that we have our life plan mapped out perfectly - then we receive little nudges that maybe Someone else has a better plan in mind. Taking that leap of faith to abandon our plan takes great courage, but it always turns out. That was the case in my decision to serve a mission. It wasn't in the plan and I was terrified to leave my family, friends, and country for a year and a half. I was worried that an imperfect person like me couldn't possibly be a missionary. But that experience of devoting my time to testifying of Jesus Christ and sharing the simple testimony that I had in my heart, changed my life in inexpressible ways. Today I am grateful that Heavenly Father has a better plan than mine.

We taught this young man to my right. He is now on a mission sharing his testimony of Christ.

We had the opportunity to build an orphanage for these little angels.

Two of the most amazing women I've ever met.

Comments

Kalli said…
I don't even plan anymore, because HF has reminded me time and again that I can't supersede his plans for me so it kind of makes my misguided attempts fruitless.

I am loving your 12 year old face in your missionary pics. So adorable.
Kandyce said…
Ashley, you are such an amazing example!! Thanks for posting this, I often need to remember that Heavenly Father does have a better plan for me than I do...and quite often! :) I especially have had to remember that these days...and it's nice reading your blog and getting that extra reminder! :)

Love,

Kan
Andrew said…
Thanks for sharing those reflections, Ashley. It's funny, and maybe a little weird, how you writing about missing your mission makes me miss your husband.
By the way, my sister is taking off to Brasilia in January to serve. She's very excited, and so are we!
Hale-O There said…
Hey Ash
I laughed so hard over your cockroach post! Way to go, I would've stared at it all day in anger till my hubby came home. I'm sure you were the best mish ever, what cool experiences you've had.
Blair said…
You went on a mission to Brazil???? I went to Portugal! We should speak portuguese sometime!
Ashley said…
Nice pick up line, Willis.
Not a chance.
I'm already seeing someone.
Jamie said…
You are an amazing person Ashley. I love reading your blog it always inspires me to be a better person or cheers me up with a good laugh. I wish we could have spent more time together. Thanks for the little reminders. Have you ever considered writing a book?
p.s I really like the stories about the cockroaches. We will be moving to South Carolina soon and I am not looking forward to them.

Popular Posts