Things I've Learned Lately

1) Yesterday I reconnected with a former business associate that I hadn't talked to in a long time. My company was a client for his company and he and I worked closely together as I managed the partnership with his company. He was a salesperson by trade, but he never acted the smug salesperson part. He was kind, honest, quick to resolve problems, and always very professional. As I complimented him on these attributes yesterday, he said something interesting to me. He said that his father used to tell him "Joe, if something works to begin with it will eventually break down." Now that sounds like a pretty defeatist attitude, but the point is the following. Whether it's a toaster, a can opener, a car, or in Joe's case a relationship, what's important is maintaining things and fixing them quickly when they go wrong.

I liked that.

It helps me to remember that my marriage and my relationships with people don't have to be perfect at every moment. What's important is caring enough about them to constantly be working at it and fixing it quickly when things go wrong.

2) I have very wise family members. Sometimes it seems insulting that God thought that he'd have to put so many amazing people in my path just to keep me on the right road. My brother-in-law gave me some much needed advice today. He taught me that work isn't always about feeling crazy passionate about what you're doing. In fact, our greatest joys and passions probably shouldn't come from our careers. It's important to work hard and enjoy what you do, but even when the fire for what you're doing dwindles a bit it's important to just show up and keep your promise to do your best. I needed to hear that today.

3) The third thing I've learned lately is that I'm am a darn lucky gal to be married to this man. I don't know a soul on this planet that could handle my craziness or laugh with me as much as he does. I've learned that I'm lucky.

And there you have it. Still learning. What have you learned lately?

I'll leave you with this video that I saw today. This man is the prophet of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. So glad to have a prophet on the earth today.

Comments

Willis Family said…
I saw that video on Sunday. Love it. The church is doing amazing and beautiful things with the media. Love you sis!
Mike and Kim said…
I love that video. We are lucky to have the gospel on the earth. Thanks for sharing :)

Popular Posts