September 11th


I can remember sitting in Mr. Miller's French class when we heard the news.
America for the first time seemed to me vulnerable, child-like, and sad.
I remember listening to the events unfold over the radio in my class and watching as worried students contacted relatives that were in New York on that fateful day.

That night Davis High School had the much anticipated game against our rival school, Viewmont. As a special tribute before the game started, the football team and the cheerleaders stood on the field and held hands with our enemy school team members as we sang the national anthem. The tears rolled down our cheeks as we sang the words, "that our flag was still there."

Indeed our flag was still there.

I remember going home, kneeling down on my knees and praying for the children that saw their parents for the last time that morning. Those children are practically grown-ups now. May we remember the sacrifice their parent's made and the liberty that many of them died to defend.

I'm proud to be an American.

Comments

Marce said…
Ash, we are birds from the same feather (is that the phrase? i feel like i'm saying it wrong..but you get the idea)...I was just coming over to see if it was ok if I linked you to my blog because I'm posting a Sept. 11 post...with a high school memory (just like yours) and I wanted to ask if it was ok if I used that video you posted a few weeks ago with the dude from the church/sept. 11th stuff.... weirdness. What an amazing experience that was linking arms and singing that national anthem, huh? Still gives me chills to think about it. And in case you didn't know, I really love you. :)
mccall said…
Whew... what a horrible day. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Mike and Kim said…
I will always remember that day and how I felt. What a horrible thing that happened. Thanks for posting

Popular Posts