The New Normal


(University Pool)

It's not that other people's problems make me happy, but...

Remember when you were growing up and you thought that your family was the most dysfunctional group of crazy people on the planet? You thought that everyone else had a mom that wore aprons all day, a dad that brought home flowers, and siblings that held hands and sang Kumbaya every night before bed. No one has a family like mine, you thought to yourself. I hope no one ever finds out what we're like.

Then one night at a sleepover when you were fourteen you and your squealing teenage girlfriends talked about your families. Much to your surprise, every single one of them admitted that their families were a few bubbles off as well. After all of the gabbing was over, you rolled over in your sleeping bag, let out a huge sigh of relief, and thanked God that your family was semi-normal.

I felt like that yesterday.
Every Thursday all of the medical student wives go the University Pool to eat lunch, swim, kayak, and play on the beach. It's a gorgeous place and a part of the week that we all look forward to. Yesterday I felt happy to find out that I'm not alone in my sulkiness this week. I don't know if that's even a word. We talked about how a few of us feel a tad homesick this week. It's just a small case of island fever I suppose. We'll get over it soon.

In the meantime, it feels nice to know I'm not the only one.

Please bless that I'll be normal.

Comments

Kalli said…
Listen, if I know one thing it's this: no one has a "normal" family and everyone has their own brand of crazy. I've stopped praying for normalcy a long time ago because I realized no such thing exists.

And though there are a lot of things I don't like about myself, a lot of moods I get in that others don't appreciate and junk of that related sorts, it's what makes me who I am and damn Gina, I'm awesome! Even when I'm nuts. Which is always. so there.
Marce said…
my arms just reached through my computer screen and hugged you.
creepy? slightly.
necessary? i think so.

i hate the word normal.
there's just no such thing.

and if i'm bein' honest, i'm feelin' a tad bit homesick myself too. i think it's time to go put on a sad song and look through some old pictures, cry a bit, eat a snickers, then pick myself up (or ellie) and take a deep breath-- and think: we can do this. people are doing it all over the world. branching out. leaving comfort zones. embracing change. all very scary phrases.

i love you and your blog. :)
Oh, that's so wonderful to have friends who can relate!!
I've shed a few tears myself to some girlfriends here ...it's wonderful to feel like you're not the ONLY one sometimes!!

I wish we could have talked longer today!! MISS YOU...can't wait until December!
Lyndzee said…
I went home on Thursday and laughed out loud at my own silliness, thinking I had had it oh so much harder than everyone else. Thanks for being here and being a friend!

Popular Posts