Fall Book Worms



My nostalgia for autumn today is thick as the tropical air. All I can think of is curling up on the couch and reading a gripping tale of someone else's life. But my cozy turtlenecks are nowhere to be found and I can't smell the crisp smell in the air of trees going to their wintry sleep. Alas, my reading today will have to be accompanied by two fans blowing in my face while I sip on mango juice. I suppose I can suffer through this autumn-less existence a little longer ;)

The last book I read was Reading Lolita in Tehran. I liked this book. If you can get past the peculiar style in which she writes this book and look for the chilling nuances in her story, you'll love it. I loved her depiction of how these banned fictional stories provided not only an escape for her students who read them in secret, but these books helped these students to understand themselves and the complicated contradictions that flowed through the veins of their lives. It's a powerful story. Again, I felt annoyed at some points by her mixed narrative/historical thesis style. But overall, this was a terrific book.

Right now I'm reading These Is My Words. I'll let you know what I think of it. So far it's wonderful....

What are you reading? I need some more books for my list.

Comments

Kami Beck said…
A classic...Jane Eyre.
Willis Family said…
The Book of Mormon--ha--just finished Omni :-)
mccall said…
I really liked These is my Words. Good book. Right now I am reading "Rumors" by Anna Godbersen. Not too sure that it's your type, though. Next I will be reading Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Also, have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I have heard it is good but I haven't read it yet.
Ashley said…
I heard The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is really good. I think that's next. Thanks, Cally!
Maria said…
You know what I am reading right now "Eat, Love & Pray" If it was not in Spanish I would give you the book as soon as I am done with it. You really need to buy a copy when you get home. My next read is "tuesdays with Morrie" When I am done with that one i will give that book to you.
Julie Winckler said…
I'm dissapointed in myself, I started this book but didn't finish it. I think I decided I needed to read Lolita and some of the other classics first so I could really appreciate all the references. Anyway, I'd love to read These is My Words. I'm working through John Adams by Ben McCullough so it might be awhile before I get around to it.
Ashley said…
I loved John Adams, Julie! You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Popular Posts