True Life


I just finished reading a book by Anne Tyler called
'Back When We Were Grownups".

I'm not about to write a book report in hopes that you'll give me a yellow smiley face. I will tell you that Anne Tyler writes books about nothing. Two hundred pages of ink about ordinary people's lives. No murder, no scandalous affairs or chases through the Vatican. Just a frumpy fifty-year-old woman trying to figure out what the freak happened to her life. I loved this book. I laughed out-loud in the middle of the night while I sneakily tried to conceal my nose in the book binding. I cried at this part at the end of the book when a one hundred year old man named Poppy says:

"There is no true life. Your true life is the one you end up with, whatever it may be. You just do the best you can with what you've got."

That's true, isn't it? It's not that life isn't magical and wonderful. But at some point all of us are walking down the street one day and stop to think, "What the freak happened to my life? This isn't what I always planned." Whether we didn't end up in the career we'd planned or dirty diapers didn't end up being as adorable as we imagined, most of us come to a point where we start looking at our compass and try to figure out how we ended up where we are.

This book about nothing reminded me that this is my true life. It's the only one I'm ever going to get in all of eternity, so I better buck up and have a ball. Most of the time we end up exactly where we're supposed to. It's just about realizing that and doing the very best with what we've got. Your true life isn't somewhere in the shadows. It's right where you are.

You are your true life.

Comments

Kalli said…
yellow smiley face!
mccall said…
i know you were writing this with me in mind, and i thank you for that. i don't call you my best friend for nothing. i love you!
Rachel said…
Ash, I am such a HUGE Ann Tyler fan, I have read and own every single one of her books. Have you read "A Slipping Down Life" or "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant?" Those are my favorites. Now recommend something to me, I need something to read and you have wonderful taste :)
Ashley said…
Rach - I've read Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant and Saint Maybe. I haven't read her other books though. I'm just starting Reading Lolita In Tehran. Have you read it yet?
Rachel said…
My mother-in-law just gave Reading Lolita! I have to finish the book I am reading now and that is next on my list. Wow. We should have a book club and not tell each other the book and see if we pick the same one :)
Unknown said…
1. Anne Tyler is awesome.

2. Reading Lolita is even awesomer.

3. That's right. I used the non-word "awesomer." Don't judge me.

4. Thank you for this post. I needed it this morning.
You always have such great posts! I always look forward to what you'll put next on your blog! Thank you for the wonderful insight you bring.
anne said…
You always have such great insights. Thank you for sharing. :)
Ah, I'm going to have to read it....thanks for your inspiring thoughts!!
Marce said…
i needed this post today...and maybe feel a little guilty for my grumpy post i just posted after reading it.......... how i love you and love the little reality checks you give me. xoxo
Ashley said…
Don't feel guilty, Marce. I don't know what the crap I'm talking about and I have grumpy days too. Today in fact.
Brett said…
Interesting that you compared True Life to a compass. Because, there is also a slight deviance on a compass from True North and Magnetic North.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_north

Not sure if you remember that lesson from girl scouts or not. I liked this post. Great quote.

Popular Posts