Built In Best Friends



"You better be nice to each other! God sent you down together so you'd have a built-in best friend!" - Infamous quote from my mother

Today I've been thinking about my built-in best friends. The fabric of each of my sister's personalities is so unique and colorful. For a bunch of gals that look a lot alike, we are quite different from each other. Kolette is an exquisite ballet dancer. She danced with Ballet West and toured around South Africa, performing for large audiences there. I, on the other hand, only pretended to be quite so exquisite. I was a buffoon twice in the Nutcracker and a candy cane once. If you feel confused that you don't recall ever seeing a 'Candy Cane' in any rendition of The Nutcracker, don't be. I think they exceeded their quota of dancers that particular year and consequently just made up this candy cane character to make use of us. Whoever had the brilliant idea of throwing a bunch of flat-chested, insecure sixth graders into striped, full-body spandex outfits needs to be shot. I'm not even sure if they choreographed a routine for us either. All I can remember is them throwing us a bunch of hula-hoops that were decorated like candy canes and pushing us out on stage. Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if I was in some sort of "special" dance number during the intermission. Hmmm.... At any rate, I'm going to petition to receive Kolette's dancing ability after the resurrection.

Kami gets the award for child prodigy pianist. She is an incredible piano player and forever holds the not-so-proud title in our household of "Vacuum Nazi". She was a teenager at the time and I was merely eight-years-old. I liked her except on the days that we did chores together. She would make me vacuum over and over again until I turned that beige living room into a perfectly mowed backyard. She is now the proud mama of six kids and uses her Vacuum Nazi tendencies to her housekeeping advantage. She's full of wisdom and optimism and I love her for it.

Kearstin is a firecracker of a person. She's fun, loving, and even more fun. I don't know if she has ever gone a day in her life without laughing. She's passionate and strong-willed and I sometimes wish that I felt things as deeply as she does. She has always reminded me of Julia Roberts for some reason. She's beautiful, with a big smile, and a contagiously infectious laugh. You can't help but want to be around her.

Lindsay...Lizard as we call her at home is my saving grace. She is the closest friend I will ever have. My mother's famous 'built-in best friend' speech was most frequently shouted at the two of us during our early adolescence. Lizard and I went through about a one year period during junior high where we kind of despised each other, but we emerged from that period as best friends. I despised her because she was beautiful and cool. She despised me because I was obnoxious and I wore head gear at night. Everyone hates people that wear head gear at night.

Lizard and I shared a queen-size bed during that year of adolescent rivalry. One night while I was sound asleep, Lindsay awoke to the sudden sensation of warm liquid on the sheets. She looked down and realized that she had peed the bed. She gasped and put her hand over her mouth in disgust. In a moment of panic, she looked over at her bad-breathed, brace-faced sister and rolled me in the puddled urine. She quickly washed, changed her clothes, and went back to sleep on the clean edge of the bed. In the morning I woke up to the smell of urine. Lindsay woke up suspiciously quickly and yelled, "Oh my gosh, Ashley! Did you pee the bed?!"

I never knew that she was really the one that peed the bed until we were in college. By that time we were best buds and the story just made us laugh. It still makes me laugh! I love Lizard more than my luggage and I can't imagine my life without her. She has listened and laughed with me through all of life's urine puddles and I'm so grateful to have such an incredible built-in best friend.

Now go call your sisters and tell them you love em.

Even if they did torture you as a child.

Comments

Laurie said…
I don't think I ever once hated a person who wears head gear at night.

I wish I had a sister. Thank goodness for sister in laws...probably not quite the same though. I'm glad I get to see my girls grow up together. It had already been tons of fun (besides the frequent pulling of clothes and hair, pushing, and scratching).
OH MY GOSH!!!I cannot stop LAUGHING!!!
Fisrt...I didn't despise the head gear...I was just jealous cause I didn't get to have braces (i know wierd that I wanted them.)
Second....I think Dustin will be more embarressed of people reading this peeing story than me.
OH, I LOVE YOU!!! I can't imagine what my life would have been like without you!!
Thanks for ALWAYS making me laugh!!
PS: Sorry for rolling you in to the pee... :-) Thanks for laughing about it too....
I'm still laughing!!

I LOVE YOU!
I just have to say I absolutely LOVE your blog!! You make me laugh so much Ashley!! This post totally reminded me of my family, my younger sister wore a head gear and we always teased her! haha needless to say right after I read this post I called her and we laughed at the memories! Anyways, thanks for the post, it made me think of my wonderful family!
The Caldwells said…
I'm starting to think us candy canes were just a "special" intermission number throwing our hula hoops around :) gotta love those see through spandex suits! haha, that's where we met! love it. couldn't stop laughing about the pee story... that will be a fun story to tell grace when she's older :)
Jamie said…
I love reading your posts and I totally remember the nutcracker. Your family is so sweet and has become so big. How lucky you are to have the love of all of them. I loved reading about each one-hilarious.
mccall said…
I LOVE that picture of your family! Did Blair's brother sneak into the Holding family photo? :)

Man oh man, you have the best stories. Lindsay is a genius. When I peed the bed when I shared with my sister, I woke her up and told her it was sweat. That didn't go over as well - I shoulda rolled her in it.

I thought my mom was so stupid when she'd tell me that Missy & I would be best friends when we got older. Riiiight. You mean the Missy who locks me in the dark basement when the wind is so strong it's blowing all of the doors open? As if that's not bad enough, she told me it was Satan coming to get me.
Jenae said…
This post was so great! I still remember my older sister saying to her friends "sorry my room smells like pee...my little sister peed in my bed last night!"

Hey, you'll have to leave your email address on my blog so I can invite you to my private blog. It will send me an email with your email address and will not post your email address for everyone to see!
Ashley said…
McCall - I seriously am peeing my pants laughing about Missy telling you Satan was coming to get you. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing I've heard all day!
mccall said…
Glad someone can laugh about it... I'm still traumatized :)
Willis Family said…
Ballerina, Pianist and then Firecracker. That's all I'm gonna say. Love You!
Maren said…
Oh my gosh! I'm laughing so hard!!! I remember the fighting with Lindsay days, but I never knew that one. That's the best! She is a smarty!

I remember sharing a bed with Megan... And let me tell you I have all sorts of awful stories. One she hated that I would breathe loud so she'd tell me to quit breathing. So me being so young and scared of her... I would do as she said. I would take quick gasps of breath and then hold them in for as long as I could and then quickly and as silently as could I would let them out. She scared me that bad... :( haha you gotta love older sisters!
Kearst...you forgot about me...
Pee Roller!
That trumps you all, and not in a good way :-)

I am feeling better and better though after reading McCall and Maren's comments :-)
Ashley said…
Ditto. McCall and Maren's sisters take the cake. Compared to summoning Satan's wind and forcing breathless suicide, that peeing the bed stunt was nothing. Way to go Missy and Megan!
Milk said…
If I could go back to those days I would tell everyone that had crushes on the Holding sisters, "Careful guys, their private lives are disgusting."

I don't know how many more bodily fluid secrets you have Ashley, but feel free to let them out (pardon the pun).
dustin said…
Somehow I don't think a little pee could deter the Holding love that is still felt around the world. Great story. Thanks for ratting out my wife.

Popular Posts