Close Your Eyes...And Leap






We were halfway into our flight to our new home in the Caribbean when I lost my marbles. Whether in the stinky lavatory of the plane or somewhere between the scratchy airplane seats, my emotional marbles had gone missing and everyone on flight 2171 was about to feel the repercussions. I had just finished reading Atlas Shrugged while listening to the beautiful violin music from a Civil War documentary. The combined forces of a deep love for my country and the realization that I was leaving her for a long while made me suddenly burst into tears. I tried to conceal the silent tears streaming down my face and swallow hard to dissolve the lump in my throat, but to no avail. Blair looked over at me and asked, "Oh no. What's wrong, sweetheart?" The lump wasn't going to let any words escape through my esophagus and Blair knows me well enough to recognize those moments. He didn't ask anymore questions. He put his strong arms around me, pulled my head into his neck and kissed my forehead. Everything is going to be fine.

Later, once I gathered a few of my marbles that were rolling on the airplane floor, we landed on the island. Imagine the smallest airport you've ever seen in your life and then divide that in half. Welcome to the Grenada International Airport. We picked up our luggage, paid the customs people $200 to get our laptops in the country, and hailed a taxi. By the time we arrived at the hotel, it was midnight. We were exhausted and the personnel at the front desk weren't exactly moving quickly. After waiting around for someone to show up, a man told us that the hillside room we reserved was not available. He looked at us and said, "We have some large tents that we can set up outside for you until your room is available." We were stunned. Flabbergasted. My emotional marbles started to roll out of my pockets. The man started laughing and said, "I'm just kidding! We'll take care of you." Our faces regained their normal pigment and we let out a chuckling sigh of relief. We walked up to our room, washed our faces, and snuggled away our worries.

Since then we've toured the gorgeous campus and searched for housing. So many kind people have helped us and we're excited to get into our new place and get settled. We're trying to decide between two apartments right now. One is above the US embassy in a great house on the hill. The other is in a nice neighborhood right next to the beach and the LDS church. I'll post pictures and let you know what we decide...

I haven't had any more emotional outbursts...since yesterday :)

We're getting really excited and I think this will be a wonderful adventure. Thanks for your love and support. We love you!

Comments

YEAH!! What a beautiful place...and I'm relieved that the marbles are back in their place
:-) This will be awesome you guys...you'll wish you could stay longer when the time comes to leave.
Glad you made it there OK...any word on the missing luggage? And the laptop fee....sheesh!!
LOVE YOU!!! Can't wait to see more pics and updates!
Unknown said…
I love reading your post but I have to say we feel a little left out. My mom said that everyone received an e-mail from you guys :(. I didn't get it :(. I don't know if she really meant that she read your blog. Well I loved the post and I still hope everything is working out. It looks beautiful!! We love you guys!
Saunders Family said…
We're glad to hear that you arrived safely and felt a little jealous while looking at the pictures! How gorgeous! We love you guys!
Brittney said…
Congratulations for stepping off the plane. You will get settled and find all of the marbles. Just remember everything is in front of you.
Casey said…
Hey Ashley,
Welcome to Grenada! My husband also goes to the medical school here and we are good friends with Lexi and Zane who met you the other day...feel free to email me if you have any questions at casey.mcdaniel@hotmail.com. We look forward to meeting you guys!
Casey
Richards Fam said…
B-Will and Ashley,

Hey man glad you made it down safetly and had no other issues...with the exception of the midflight melt down. Just wanted to let you know that I made it in the January class( as I thought). It will be nice though because you guys can give Stef and I the 411 when we get there. That's all for now...
P.s. I would have loved to see your faces when you were told that you would have to sleep in a tent....PRICELESS!

Jerod and Stefani
anne said…
Glad you made it...and glad you didn't have to sleep in a tent. Good luck deciding on a place. The island looks gorgeous.
Willis Family said…
Thank heavens for the internet.... So nice to hear you are alive and well....did you find all your luggage? We miss your guys already. You are too far away and I'm feeling it...... We love you both to pieces.... We pray for you morning and night.....we love you we love you!
Brandon Jones said…
I'm glad that you've made it down there safely. I was a little worried when you said that you lost your marbles midflight. I mean, what if a flight attendant stepped on one and fell into the guy sitting a couple rows up. By hitting him he spits his south korean chicken ball out of his mouth which then hits the co-pilot who was walking out of the cockpit to go to the bathroom (because the one in the cockpit was out of order) who then falls backwards into the pilot who then gets knocked out and falls into the steering wheel and causes the plane to nose-dive, causing the cabin pressure to change thus releasing the oxygen masks. Agh! The possibilities are endless. What could have happened. :) Remember, I don't know when to stop.
Those are beautiful pictures and I'm really excited for you and your adventure. I hope that there's a way for me and the fam to come down and visit you one summer.
I can't wait to see pictures of the apartment you two choose. Keep us posted! (I really wish I could have seen your face at the hotel. Taxi cab from Airport $30. Hotel room $100 dollars. The look on your face when you are told that the room you reserved isn't ready and that you can sleep in a tent while it gets ready in the middle of the night, PRICELESS.)
Anonymous said…
Blair and Ashley, I am glad that its going good so far for you. Those pictures were really pretty. I hope you guys can adjust and that school goes well and that you guys are happy. Keep me posted.
mccall said…
I can't wipe this smile off of my face! Those pictures are magnificent! Ahhhh, I'm so excited for you guys! Can't wait to come visit!
Unknown said…
Well glad to hear you didn't forget about us ; ). Looks like you just have the wrong e-mail address. My e-mail is kathywathy_965@hotmail.com or kathywathy21@gmail.com.
Hello Ashley!
I am also one of the Significant Others here on the Island!! Welcome to Grenada! My husband, and son just arrived here from the Newcastle England program about a month and a half ago! I'm sure we'll be meeting soon, but email me anytime! And if there is anything you need, just let me know!!

See you soon!
Lauren
altoml@mac.com
Angie said…
Good luck you guys! I know you are going to be great!
Maren said…
OH Ash it's just gorgeous there! I'm so excited for you guys. You need to remember that I'm always a skype call away and I know how it is to move far away from home. So you don't have to keep your emotional marbles in check with me :)
I can't wait to come visit you guys. It's so pretty there - you're going to have SO much fun! Yay for Blair and Ash. Love you!
Brittany said…
Such an exciting new stage for you guys! You are going to love ever second of being there! Oh the places you'll go!!!!!!!
Brittany said…
Such an exciting new stage for you guys! You are going to love ever second of being there! Oh the places you'll go!!!!!!!
CHELSEY said…
Oh Ash I'm sure your emotions are perfectly normal. Normal in comparison to what I'd act like in your shoes;) At least you've ever been out of the country!! You're gonna be natives in weeks.

Popular Posts