Spill #1



On warm summer mornings, when the ground smells like wet cement and freshly cut grass, Travis used to wake me up to go fly fishing on the Weber River. We'd pack a few sandwiches, make sure there was some green Extra gum in the glove compartment, and load the fishing gear into the truck. I guess I'm not really sure why Trav let me tag along; ten-year-old bean pole girls don't exactly make significant contributions to the sport of fishing. But those morning trips made me feel special and needed.


I remember numerous occasions when we'd have to cross the river or stand in the middle of the current to fish. Trav would tell me to grab the tackle box and climb on his back. "Hold on to me tight, Ashley", he would say, "Hold on tight." With his little sister clutching onto his back, he would slowly glide his weighter-clad feet into the rushing current. I don't remember watching his fly dance across the water as he cast his line back and forth. As we stood in the middle of the rushing water, I closed my eyes and kept repeating the words: "Hold tight to your brother, Ashley." "Hold on tight."


On April 18th, Trav and I sat in Kearstin's living room and talked for hours. We didn't talk about fishing, but we talked about "holding tight" - holding tight to important things when we really aren't feeling like it. He comforted me by telling me about his realization over the past several years of how treacherous life's waters without God really are. His story and testimony of what it means to really hold tight to our older Brother, Jesus Christ helped me to start feeling peace again. I needed that conversation so badly that day.


Five days later, we received a phone call informing us that Travis was in the ICU. A former Major League Baseball player accidentally threw a 70 mile per hour ball that hit Travis in the face. Travis immediately started having seizures before the ambulance could even arrive at the baseball field. They rushed him to the hospital and had him on life support for the first several hours. The next few days were unnerving for all of us as we waited to see whether his brain had been damaged from the accident. Dad and I sat with Travis throughout the night and tried to comfort him the best we could. Travis asked me to climb on his bed and sleep next to him. Tears streamed down my face as I snuggled up to him and prayed that my wonderful big brother would be okay. Hold on tight.


Travis is doing much better now. He went through reconstruction surgery to get his facial bones back in place, had dozens of stitches to sew his lips back together, and is now the proud bearer of braces (oh the joys). His experiences made me realize the remarkable power of the Atonement and the Savior's capacity to heal all of us, physically and most importantly, spiritually. Travis is doing well due to that wonderful healing power. I'm doing better because of it too.


Hold tight.


Comments

I cry everytime I think about this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Kalli said…
well that was definitely NOT what I thought you might spill...

Holy moly, so glad to hear that your brother is doing better. Our families are the most important things we've been given that's for sure.

Love you!
Brett said…
That sounds like it should be a conference talk or something. Man, what a unnerving experience. So sorry! Your stories about your brother are so sweet. I love how he wanted you to lay next to him. I'm so glad things turned out the way they did. What a crazy thing to have happen!
Brett said…
Oh, sorry, Brett=Laurie
mccall said…
ashley, i am SO SORRY. i had no idea. what i'm even more sorry about is that i didn't call you sooner. i seriously have been thinking of you SO much lately, you have no idea. please please please let me know if there is anything i can do for you & your family.
Marce said…
ashley,
i've been waiting anxiously for a new post from you...as your writing rejuvenates my little soul! i hope you know you have many friends (and i'm sure family members) rooting for you and thinking about you and your family! your brother is lucky to have had you there to hold on tight to during such a traumatic experience. i'll be thinking of you and praying for your family! love you, friend.
Paige said…
I am sitting at my desk right now, wiping away tears. Both because of the story about Travis (I had no idea, by the way, and I am so sorry) but also because I am so thankful for the message you put out there. I think we can all use uplifting messages every once in a while (or more frequent). Thank you, Ashley, for your testimony. I love to read what you have to say. Your optimism reminds me of the blessings that I have and helps me to not be such a downer when sometimes that is all I want to do. Your family is in my heart and my prayers. Love ya!
Mike and Kim said…
I am so happy that he is ok. We are so blessed to have the gospel. I am keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!
Maren said…
Oh my goodness Ash! I'm so sorry about Travis. It sounds like he's doing a lot better now, but man! I'm glad he is alright. Please call me anytime you have some free time. I would love to talk to you especially if you need anything! Love you Ash! OH! and I'm coming home in a few days, so please let me know if there is anything I can do for you or the fam!
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, but I'm glad he's doing better now. I'm glad you're back and feeling better too!!
Kerry said…
I loved your desabafar. Beautiful and touching thoughts, as always. So glad your brother is okay and recovering. xoxo
anne said…
O goodness. You have such a positive outlook. I really hope everything is ok with your brother.
The Caldwells said…
your family has been in our prayers!
Wow..I'm so glad he is doing well! That must have been so hard for your family. You had me in tears!
Ash, that is horrible! I am so glad that your brother seems to be doing ok now. He sounds like a great big brother. I hope things only continue to improve for him!
Brittany said…
Oh Ash, my prayers are with you, your amazing brother Travis and your fam. Loves!
KO said…
What a wonderful compilation of words. I needed to hear this today. I hope Trav is doing well and has a speedy recovery. What an ordeal! Thanks for the post.

Popular Posts