Save A Seat For Me












After watching our sweet Grandma Holding suffer from Alzheimer's for the past several years, we layed her to rest yesterday. It was a sweet occasion full of tears for the vibrant and loving woman that we'll miss, and full of laughter in honor of her optimistic enthusiasm for life. We all approached her casket one by one to cry and say goodbye. Grandpa was the last to say goodbye. He sobbed and told her how he was sorry that he couldn't take care of her and make everything better. He said that he loved her and talked to her every night before bed. He said he was lonely already without her. We all sobbed heartbreaking sobs as we listened to his last declaration of love for his sweetheart of 50 years. I suppose that was the moment that Grandma had had enough of all of the sad sobbing because after Grandpa's last sentence, his pants suddenly fell down to his ankles. No matter how sad the occasion, a good pantsing always makes people laugh. Grandma must have known that because at that moment we all burst out laughing, including Grandpa. Laughing through tears really is such a wonderful emotion.
We had a beautiful celebration lunch after the graveside service to eat and tell stories about her wonderful life. I realized during the nostalgic story-telling the remarkable influence this woman has had on the world. Grandma was a faithful member of the church even though her husband never believed and never accompanied her in her worship. But her children with grateful hearts thanked her yesterday for taking them into their rooms as small children and teaching them to pray. She towed them alongside her each week to church her entire life. Her two sons served missions and all three of her children are married in the temple. Because of her faithfulness, 15 grandchildren and 28 great grandchildren are blessed to be members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
We love you Grandma and can't wait to see you again.
I hope that I may have the enthusiasm for life that you did. I hope that I may be nurturing and loving to all those whom I touch. I hope that I may be faithful and bless the many generations that you have.
Save a seat for me in heaven,
Ashley

Comments

anne said…
My heart aches for your loss. Losing a grandparent is terrible. I hope you are doing well.
Mike and Kim said…
Ash, I lost both of my grandpas in the past two years. It is very hard but I am happy that neither of them are suffering anymore where they are. As your grandma is now at peace. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
The Caldwells said…
what a sweet tribute :) hope your family is doing well. love ya ash
Laurie said…
So cute what your grandpa said to your grandma, and I love that his pants fell off. Priceless memories.

Sounds like you get part of your love and compassion from your grandma.
Kandyce said…
Your Grandma sounded like an extraordinary woman! I hope your family is doing well.
Milk said…
All things considered, that is one great story.
Ali Snow said…
Wow - I was not expecting that turn in the story. Alzheimer's if rough, that's what took my Grandma after 23 years.

On another note...Easter? Wanna head south and dye eggs?
Kerry said…
This was so touching and I was totally crying, and thus incredibly grateful that your grandpa's pants fell down so that I could laugh through my tears, too. : )
What a lovely tribute to your grandmother.
Ashley said…
That is such a heart breaking disease. My husband's grandmother died of this as well. I hope your family and your grandpa find peace.
mccall said…
Oh, Ash I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a grandparent. Please call me if you need anything. I love you! And lets be honest... Your grandpa's pants falling to his ankels would only happen to your family.
Maren said…
OH my goodness... what a heartbreaking story about your grandpa and how cute is he to just laugh about his pants falling off! I'm sorry for your loss Ash. I think I only met her a couple of times, but I definitely remember how open and loving she was! Such a funny and sweet lady!

Ash if you need anything please call me - I would love to talk to you anytime you need! Love you Ash!
Brittany said…
I am just sobbing here at my computer reading your post and then BAM! the Grandpa loosing his pants story totally took me off guard and I couldn't stop giggling. Then of course I was back to crying as I read your amazing sweet tribute to your incredible Grandmother. What an amazing woman she is. I love you!!!!

And P.S. your seat in heaven has been reserved since the day you were born. You, my friend, are one in a million and those same attributes that you used to describe your grandma obviously got passed to you. You amaze me all the time! Loves!

Britt
KO said…
I think elderly love is the most precious and sweet thing to witness in this life. Doesn't it make you want to fight for a marriage so sweet, with longevity and great memories together? I'm sure she'll save you a front-row seat. XOXO
Everyone did such a nice job with the services for Grandma. It was great to see you all too.

Popular Posts