Cupid

I'm listening to Bob Marley on my living room floor and thinking about that guy I married. I was starting to feel a little blue tonight about him. (Why do we call it 'feeling blue'? Is it because people turn blue when they're losing oxygen? Is it because sadness feels like not being able to breathe? I'll have to Google that one...) I was feeling blue about the fact that our work schedules have turned us into weekend lovers. I kid not. We see each other for maybe three hours each day. Max.


Basking in my melancholy aura, I decided to pull out old letters and emails that Blair and I wrote each other when we were younger. The misspelled words and long forgotten subtle declarations of love cracked me up and brought me to happy tears.
Observations:

I am the luckiest of all the lucky girls in the world.

In retrospect I can now observe that my husband was ridiculously persistent and shameless in his pursuit of me. It's almost embarrassing to read about it now. I'm glad he stuck with it though.

I think I always knew that I would marry him. I was hoping anyway...

I can't imagine my life without his laugh and his loyal friendship.

So despite the blue moment tonight, I realized that I am very blessed. Blair always says that marriage is mostly about one word - commitment. It's about being committed to serving, forgiving, loving, and enjoying each other come what may. I'm grateful that I got to remember how sweet life has been with my best friend and it makes me want to work harder to make today just as sweet.

Now don't misunderstand, my friends. We are not poster children for perfect marriages - we won't be auditioning for that position in this life. Don't believe me? Refer to former thin mints post. We're just as crazy as the rest of you. But weekend lovers or no, for today we've got sensual Bob Marley music, some hilarious letters to comb through, and a pretty rockin friendship. So go dig up something that reminds you of how you ended up with that guy you married. You'll remember something good, something worth enjoying today.

Love,

Formerly Blue Cupid

Comments

mccall said…
I feel like laughing and crying with you at just the THOUGHT of the letters and emails you were reading. I always knew you'd marry Blair, too. Maybe that's why I always felt so out of place when the three of us would sneak out to the Burton Elementary field in 8th grade. Remember how horrible we thought our lives were? Hysterical.

Words can't describe how excited I am to see you tonight. Love your stinkin' guts.
Maren said…
That was a sweet post, Ash! I too always knew you'd marry Blair. And I'm so happy you did. You two are perfect for each other and so darn cute. I would love to read some of your old letters especially from Jr High - I bet some of them are hilarious!
Marce said…
loved this post, ash. I have to tell you, I can't say I always knew you'd marry Blair, but I always hoped you would. You could just see the love he always has had for you in his eyes. so sweet. how lucky I am to know you people :)
The Caldwells said…
I agree with Mccall, Maren and Marce i always hoped you'd spend forever with cute Blair. Friendship is definitely something you need in any lasting relationship, and you two have such a strong and pure friendship! thanks for being someone i can look up to :)
Kandyce said…
Such a cute post! Thanks for the inspiration to take out those old emails and letters. You and Blair are soo perfect together. I too, hoped you both would end up together. Obviously we didn't hang out during our school years, but I got to know you both a bit in 9th grade...remember when we all were in office together? Good times! I actually busted out the old photos from school the other day and still have our group office pic. It's nice to look back on those fun times.:)

Popular Posts