Lucky

The drafty air was slithering through the paint chips in the window seal and I wondered how the chilling February wind outside could so perfectly embody my heartache. I pressed my salty lips against by bare knees and sat crumbled on the floor. I was twenty-years-old, hopelessly inexperienced, and consumed by my first horrible heartbreak. Through my selfish tears, I picked up my phone and prayed that my mom's voice would be there on the other end. I don't remember everything that she said, but one part will stay with me forever. She said, "Ashley, you're so lucky. Now you'll know how to comfort your children when they're hearts are broken by someone they love."

I went to Provo a few nights ago to be with a friend who's going through one of those bone-chilling, heartbroken periods of her life. As I drove home after talking to her, I remembered what my mom said five years ago. She was right, as moms so obnoxiously always are. I am lucky. Lucky that I had the experience of being heartbroken over a silly boy. Lucky that I got over it. Lucky that I found the man of my dreams to be with forever. And lucky that I can now feel compassion for those going through hard things.

I'm trying to keep this perspective with other aspects of my life lately. Things don't always go according to plan. Sometimes they're tragically different. But God is granting us this time and these experiences so that we can feel deeper and love more fully. It gives me a different perspective of the atonement. I imagine that after all of the suffering that the Savior experienced, He must have felt a profound sense of gratitude for being able to feel what others feel. I'm grateful that He lets us feel a minute portion of that suffering and subsequent compassion.

We're lucky
.

Comments

Kolette said…
I feel "lucky" to be blessed with such an incredible sister. Loved talking with you today!
The Mom said…
wow, what a powerful entry, and truly something i think most people can relate too. hope all is well.
Thanks for the post, Ashley. I really needed that today. I always love how positive you are. I could learn a thing or two from you.
Laurie said…
Great comments! Was your heart broken by who I think it was broken by? We miss you guys.
Who would be such an idiot to break up with you? You are the lucky one.
mccall said…
You should write a book. You are a beautiful writer and I always leave your blog feeling so good. Thank you for being my best friend. I learn so much from you. xoxo
Thanks for you words of wisdom, Ash! You need to make a compilation of your posts-you're words are food for the soul! I love you so much!!!
Maren said…
I concur with McCall and Linds! I'll be waiting for my copy of the book some time in the near future. I love you Ash! You always make the best out of a situation...
About Asher Lev, have you started it yet? I really really liked this book. And I think you would like it too.
Kerry said…
So true. So beautifully written as always.
Marce said…
a lil ol tear streamed down my face after reading this...because i so can relate at this moment of my humdrum life. it's amazing to me how i can laugh out loud with you at one moment (your most recent post) and then cry with you at another. you've got a way about you, lady. i love you, ash.

Popular Posts