"You Know I Like The Thin Mints!"














So several months ago our friends told us a hilarious story about thin mints. Apparently, one night as they were sitting down to dinner, they heard the couple in the apartment next door quarreling. Now this wasn't a domestic violence level fight or anything, but the couple was obviously quite mad at each other and audibly so. Our friends tried to ignore the quarrel and focus on the mashed potatoes, but the paper thin walls were too much of a temptation and before they knew it, their ears were pressed against the speckled white walls of their apartment itching to hear the details of the fight next door. As they intently listened, they were able to slowly piece the puzzle of disagreement together. It became obvious that the husband was mad at the wife for eating his entire beloved remaining row of thin mints when he screamed one last screech of rage, "YOU KNOW I LIKE THE THIN MINTS!!!"

I laugh every time I even think about that story and not simply because it seems so barbaric. It makes me laugh because it hits so close to home. As evidenced by my last emotional post about pee sticks (you're all such dear friends by the way - I'm really not that sad and thanks to your encouragement I remember that everything will work out someday), I've been a little loony the past few days. Today's "thin mint" briga was over Spaghettios. Yep, you read that right - we actually quarreled over Spaghettios. We didn't scream at the top of our lungs or anything, but I may have shed a few tears over those disgusting little tomatoey circles today. I'm glad that I'm still not crying over that - I'm glad that we're laughing about it now.

I'm writing this for my posterity to remind them that it's okay to have "thin mint" moments. It doesn't mean you're a crazy pants. It doesn't mean that your marriage is falling apart. It means you're human. And for whatever reason, whatever made you sad or stressed in the first place, the thin mint broke the camel's back. The important part is being able to laugh at yourself a few minutes after, kiss and makeup, and throw the rest of the thin mints or disgusting Spaghettios in the garbage. We're not perfect humans yet. The perfect ones unfortunately don't live on this planet. So let's not be so hard on ourselves and just learn to laugh at those ridiculous moments and move on.

Much love,

ash

Comments

Laurie said…
I love this post cause I have tons of thin mint moments. I just re-read the title and giggled again.
Rachel said…
Ash, I miss you. I wish you still sat by me at work so I could make fun of you for eating spaghettios for lunch.
Kandyce said…
What a breath of fresh air it was to read this post. It's nice to know that me and James aren't the only ones out there having thin mint or spaghettio moments! ;)
You know exactly how to put in to words... what is on everyone's mind. Love it-Love it!
Maren said…
First off... spaghettios???????? Really? I think I might throw up right now just thinking about that. Second, I love thin mints and I would fight with Ryan for sure if he ate all my thin mints. And third, I miss you Ash! I sure hope you make it out here :)
anne said…
I think we all have Thin Mint moments. Jace and I just last night. Thank you for sharing this. :)
Kerry said…
Your writing never disappoints. I love this post, and you're so right. We all have our thin mint moments in marriage!
Milk said…
Thin mints and pee sticks aside (don't confuse the two), my question is how long have you been listening to that Album Leaf album now? Yes it's a good album, but don't wear it out!
Here's a track I gave my sister-in-law for her jogging mix.
KO said…
Totally blaming our "thin mint" moments on the hubby. He's SO protective of his food. I would NEVER do that:)

Popular Posts