Retail Therapy Apologetics














I can recall a conversation with a friend during my college years where she told me about a hard day that she'd had. Somewhere between the topics of boyfriend break-up, dead-end job, and blubbering about her problems to her parents, she mentioned that her dad gave her his credit card and told her to go shopping at Nordies to feel better. (Blair, if you're reading this, that means "Nordstrom". And not "Nordstrom(s)" with an 's' like you always say.) I was baffled, confused, and a smidgen jealous of my friend. I could no more imagine my dad giving me his credit card for a little "retail therapy" than him putting on a too-too and joining a ballet class with me. Since then I've always thought that kind of shopping nonsense was just that...nonsense. Until recently.

Today I experienced the science of retail therapy. I was having a little bit of a crummy day. A combination of my stomach feeling like my ovaries were eating my intestines, a near overdose on Tylenol, and my mind turning to mush after a few hours of mindless television. And so, at six o'clock I decided to hop in the car and do a little retail therapy. One hour later, I returned home with four bamboo placemats, four lime green cloth napkins from World Market for $9, and new eyeshadow that was on sale for half off. Although it wasn't my Daddy's bank account that took the hit, I'm feeling neither guilty nor snobbish and much much more chipper. I've contributed to the betterment of the current economy by spending a bit of my hard earned dough and my guests for dinner this Sunday will surely enjoy wiping their mouths with
poka dots
rather than scratchy paper napkins.

And so retail therapy works, my friends. Provided that:
a) you buy something so cheap that you don't feel guilty about the splurge
b) it's not food and
c) it makes you or your house feel prettier

So go out a find a good deal. Throw some more money into our broken economy and experience your own delight from a little retail therapy.

Comments

Kandyce said…
Retail therapy is the best! ESPECIALLY when you find such a good deal!! I love the new additions that you bought! Super cute! :)
Laurie said…
Is there something in the air? Cause I can't stop spending money. I really wish I could. I mean, REALLY wish I could.
Willis Family said…
Love the stuff sis! I have to say, I love retail therapy but only if I can spend it with someone. I can't commit to anything unless I have a bystander (mostly Warren) helping me follow through.
Happy Shopping Sis! Come to Idaho and we can go together :--)
mccall said…
Love love love it! It is darling. I seriously don't know what makes me happier than cute, new decorations for my home. Tannon thinks I'm nuts and that home decorating is just more "stuff" but I love it. When I move to Pitt, you're hired to come be my personal house decorater :-) Love you! I will call you about lunch next week.
ooooh...love the green and brown!! I might have to indulge in some retail therapy today. Look what you've started :-)!
XOXO
Oh my gosh, those are the cutest settings!! I love it!!!
Kalli Ko said…
i have tested this theory many a time and tried and true it works. depression lifted.
Mike and Kim said…
I couldn't agree more! I love when I find a good deal on a cute decoration for our apartment that just makes our home feel more personalized and homey.
Maren said…
Is it bad if you feel like you need retail therapy everyday? Just wondering... :)
Laurie said…
Laurie must have gotten in touch with you. THIS IS THERAPEUTIC BUYING IS DANGEROUS. Don't allow your self-sooth tactic to escalate into a Compulsive Returner Disorder, read our blog about that. Laurie is still in therapy and will be till she uses all of our savings to pull our economy out of this recession.

(Disclaimer: This is Brett not Laurie, I couldn't view your blog with my email.)

Hope all is well, you and Blair should come down and visit for the LOST season finale!
Marce said…
darling stuff, chica. super hip and chic!

Popular Posts