Too Late to "Learn from History"?


I had planned on writing a wonderful post as a rebuttal to an argument that a dear friend recently made in support of Barack Obama. I had an outline, links, and research ready for my final draft. I was ready to make my argument, but for some reason I've been unable to write it. I recently heard our country described as a pendulum swinging. Back and forth, up and down. The velocity grows with each pass by the center and peaks higher and higher at the far left and the far right. We all know what are at those extremes and I don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever wish for that. As I've participated in the political debates among friends, watched bias media coverage on both sides, and analyzed the presidential candidates of tomorrow's election and past elections I can't help but see the pendulum swing farther left and farther right. I don't want to be one of those pushing the dial to one extreme and then hope that gravity does not do it job in the other direction. In a philosophy course at BYU today I came to better understand the difference between free agency and freedom; one is absolute and the other is not. The first no man can give or take away, but the second is left in our hands. I'm afraid that at the peak of the pendulum someone will figure out a way to reach out and grab it. Freeze it in it's tracks and not let it fall. On either extreme the result would be devestating to our way of life and freedom as we know it. Rereading the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the words of the founding fathers this past weekend I can't help but think that they would actually support a change in constitution, a change in government, or the fundamentals of this great nation if her people in one voice or a greater voice declared it so; in the same sentence I should say that I think they would with their very lives oppose it. I don't know what will happen in the future and i don't know who will be nominated president of the United States tomorrow. Either way we need to be cautious. I do believe that our commitment to the liberties and freedoms we enjoy, those blessings that enable us to exercise our free agency, will be tested in the coming years. It's my feeling that we ought to learn from history and with our very lives protect and "ensure the blessings of Liberty [for] ourselves, and our posterity". I can't write more because of work and I know my thoughts are incomplete, but I just wanted to try and make sense of my two cents and then add them to this page. I'll come back for more later. Peace.

Popular Posts