Public Transportation













Yesterday a little blond-haired, bright spirited four-year-old boy bounced on to the bus with his mama holding his hand. He smiled at the grumpy bus driver and said hello and then proceeded to march down the bus aisle looking every stranger in the eye and waving at them.
Unabashed cheerfulness.
Innocence.

The day before I met a man that started talking to me the moment I sat down at the bus stop. He asked how my day was going and where I was headed. He said that he underwent brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumor just over a year ago. He said he was so happy to be alive. I could see it in his eyes that he was thrilled for one more day to start.
Gratitude.
Hope.


Is it strange to suddenly start riding the bus to work when you have a perfectly good car sitting outside your door? Is something wrong with you if public transportation of all things somehow fills your need to feel connected with people?

Comments

Laurie said…
Nope. Maybe you could make a documentary about your travels on buses.
jaci said…
i love riding buses for that reason, too.
shelley said…
Hey Ash, this is your cousin Katie. I am on my moms account right now,(Lindsay invited her)but would love to invite you to view our blog. It is private. send me a quick email so I can do that. SpecialK_018@hotmail.com It will be fun to keep in touch this way!
mccall said…
I have been riding public transit for years. It really is so great and you really do learn lessons that you couldn't get anywhere else.
Milk said…
I have a whole sketchbook full of quotes and film ideas I've gotten on the bus over the last 4 years. Just disinfect your hands and take it all in.
Arien said…
How are you??? I got to your blog from Lidsay's! Hope all is well with you....This is such a great way to keep in touch with everyone in different places! Arien
Jake & Becca said…
Funny how I just got a text from Jake saying that two boys on the train almost got in a fight...Different experience but I am deffinitely glad we have public trans options. I had fun reading your dating vs non dating debate! When ever cute couples are mentioned I always tell about you two. You are more than just higschool sweethearts, you're life sweet hearts...so cute.

Popular Posts