Miss You Brazil















Don't you love Sunday afternoons? It's my favorite part of the week; eating lots of food and then lazily napping the afternoon away. Yum. We went to my mission president's homecoming today. That was such a sweet experience. He told a story during his talk about my companion and I stopping to teach a young man on the street one day. I had forgotten about this experience, but he had apparently saved the letter I wrote him about this. All of our appointments fell through that day, we couldn't find anyone to teach and it was blisteringly hot outside! We finally saw a young man sitting on the side of the road. As we walked up to him I said something kind of strange and unexpected. I said, "You're the person we've been looking for; the person ready to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ." We taught him about the Restoration of the gospel right then and there. As we taught him about Joseph Smith his eyes welled up with tears. He said he'd been praying recently to find truth in his life.

Anyway, I had forgotten about that story. We found out that he actually lived in another area and we referred him to the missionaries there. Well, my mission president told us today that he was sharing this story in a stake conference a while ago in Brazil. When he was done speaking a young man walked up to him and said, "I'm that person you talked about. I'm the young man those two sisters talked to on the street that day. I was baptized soon after that and I'm now getting ready to go on a mission."

My companion and I didn't have much to do with that miracle - we were just a couple of sweaty missionaries hoping someone would listen to us. But my mission president's talk reminded me today that we can be a small part of blessing people's lives if we listen and act upon small promptings.

Comments

Willis Family said…
So sweet Ashley. So sweet. There is nothing better than feeling the blessing of the spirit in our lives. We miss seeing you two and wish we all lived closer. I think about calling you all the time but know I need to keep it to a minimum. Love you both. Good Luck with studying for the MCAT Blair. We pray that all will go well.
That is such an amazing story! You two were just the right stepping stone that man needed. Thanks for sharing....Love you! Linz
What a fantastic story! Between the spiritual and the adventuresome your last two posts have rocked. Most blogs tend to gravitate toward the superficial; yours is bordering profundity. So pressure's on to keep up the record.
We'd love to see you guys soon. Come visit the Abey-baby!
Mike and Kim said…
That is an awesome story Ash. I love living outside of Utah for a time and have more experiences to share the gospel. That story just really motivated me. Thanks! You're such a great example.
Whitney said…
Stories like that don't get much better. Experiences like that can be few and far between but they're the one's that make us want to keep on going.
Kerry said…
Oh, sweet sweet Ashley. I love this story. There's always such a profound peace that comes when I hear about the ways in which the Lord uses us to bring to pass His purpose. Reading this also reminds me of when you left on your mission, and all of the situations surrounding that big step. Look how beautifully everything turned out; just perfect! The Lord truly knows what's best for His children. I hope you're well, and I miss you sweet lady. xoxo
So tell me this, was your mission President Carl Faulkner?!?!?!? Would you absolutely die if I told you that Carl is my dad's cousin!!! How crazy is that. It has to be Carl. His homecoming was on Sunday (sadly I missed it) and he was a Mission Pres. in Brazil! How did we not know this before now?!?!?
Ashley said…
Cathy - I already have the heart to disappoint you after your enthusiastic discovery of this coincidence...my mission president was Mark Woodruff. Shoot. This Faulkner person seems like a nice fellow though :) lol.
Ashley said…
I love missionary stories! Yours made me cry because I of course started thinking abut my brother on a mission. That is so awesome that you served a mission in Brazil. I want to go on a mission someday.

Popular Posts