Movie Review Weekend


Yay for three-day weekends! Blair is studying like crazy for the MCAT, so our weekend thus far has consisted of flashcards, practice tests, and movie breaks.

Movie Weekend Recommendation #1: Lars And The Real Girl

We rented this movie after my mom recommended it a few weeks ago. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much but when the Blockbuster worker gave us her lively opinion of the movie, we started to get a little excited. For all of you who have a slightly dry sense of humor and a taste for brilliant movies like "Joe Versus the Volcano", you will LOVE this movie! I was dying laughing throughout the whole thing and crying in the end. Loved it. Two enthusiastic thumbs up, Lars.

Movie Weekend Warning: Indiana Jones and the Stupid Crystal Skull

All I can say is "I want my two hours back!" I NEVER would have seen this of my own volition. I used to love Indiana Jones as a kid, but after I had heard the reviews, I was fully prepared to just wait for this flick to make it to Red Box. Blair, however, will honestly see whatever movie is out there, regardless of the reviews, and has been begging me for days to go see Harrison's last hoorah with him. Last night after Blair gets done studying at 10:30, he says to me "Ash, let's go get a treat." I'm always up for a late-night treat so off we headed down the street in our pj's. We passed every restaurant in the valley and Blair still hadn't seen anything he wanted. I was starting to get suspicious about where Blair was really taking us because he's not usually very picky about treats like that. After we'd driven for about 15 minutes we stumbled to a screeching halt at Blair's premeditated destination...the movie theater. I of course threw a fit and locked my door when Blair came around to get it and said I wasn't going to see Indiana's Skull or whatever it's called at 11:00 in my pajamas! Needless to say we came to an agreement that I would see it with him if we bought me a diet coke and a treat. You can get through almost any movie with a good beverage and chocolate, right? Not right!! Probably one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Sorry Blair :)

Has anyone else seen these movies? Thoughts please. Our friendship rests upon your opinions - don't dissapoint me. jk.

Comments

Kalli Ko said…
oh yeah, well our friendship rests on the premise that you friggin email me and tell me what's going on with your life and your new job and that stuff...

i thought indy was dumb too

but i had cherry coke to see me through so i survived
Melanie said…
I haven't seen Indiana jones yet, but I second your review of Lars and the Real Girl. It's wonderful. And Ryan Gosling is a brilliant actor. I couldn't believe I was crying in the end... But it really was that good. I wish all small towns were that awesome to the eccentrics among them.
ouch. ouch. That hurt Ashley. I'll give you credit where credit is due, the 4th installment was not nearly as substantive or dramatic as the other three (particularly "The Last Crusade" which remains on my top 5 movies of all time). But it was fun! It brought back the action and adventure that Indy always had! The characters were consistent, the story was just as real and fake as the others (many had trouble with the alien, but I remind you that there were immortal knights in the third one, and ghosts from the Ark in the first one). I had a great time with this flick. Then again, I saw it at 5:20, not at 11:00. Blair's funny. He rocks. I could go on with this review, but I'll stop for now.
Thanks again for coming to see us yesterday. You and Blair are extraordinary!
Jen said…
Ashey, This is Jenny Larsen from DHS! I just think your blog is so cute... and I love how it has new looks often! I'm glad to hear that you and Blair are enjoying life even if he does drag you to movies in your PJ's! I must agree with Blair on the Indiana Jones issue... I'm a big fan ever since I was little, but I will say the new one doesn't compare to The Last Crusade!
mccall said…
i'm so glad that i've never seen any of the indiana jones...
Rachel said…
I loved Lars and the Real Girl! I have been recommending it to everyone lately. I guess we can still be friends even though you abandoned me.
Ashley said…
kalli - I don't have your email address! Send it to me and I'll send you the updates.

mccall - I should have known...good thing we've been friends for a bagillion years which prevents me from unfriending you now :)


Rach & Mel - I knew you two would love that movie! Can we have a "book club" meeting soon?
Hey Ash and Blair! It's Lyndsay Wilding (Harding). I always new you two were meant to be! Blair and I were thinking about renting that first movie you posted. good to know it is good. I just started blogging so hope to hear from you!
Maren said…
Ash! Ryan and I went to see Indiana the night before we left for London... Ryan liked it - I thought it was ok... The whole alien thing really is getting old and lame and doesn't really fit into Indiana territory I don't think. So that was lame. Lars and the Real Girl looks funny and I've been wanting to see it for a long time. I guess I need to rent it!

Popular Posts