Holiday Highlights




Now that the holidays are officially over and we're back to our daily routines, I'm really starting to miss the fun times we had over Christmas. We had a wonderful first Christmas together and it was so exciting to be a part of the Willis Christmas traditions that Blair has always told me about. As we got in our pajamas and snuggled up together on Christmas Eve, I found myself getting a little teary. I couldn't believe that at this time last year I was just getting home from my mission. I couldn't believe that I really got to marry my best friend. I thought back to an experience that I had right before leaving on my mission. At the time I was terrified and unsure about going on a mission, still a little heart sick about a former relationship, and more than a little confused about my life. I knelt down to pray one day and the thought came to my mind, "Ashley, just trust me. The dream that I have for your life is wonderful. Just trust in me and go." This Christmas I felt so grateful that someone else has been guiding my life. I'm grateful for the way that my mission changed and molded me to be a better person. And I'm most grateful that my best friend and love of my life was here waiting for me when I got back!!
So over the holidays we went sledding and snowboarding with our nieces and nephews, watched one too many movies, played games and ate everything in sight! Blair and I decided that nieces and nephews are not the greatest sources of self esteem boosts. My nephew Nathan, for example, refuses to call me Aunt Ashley. Instead he calls me Fat Uncle Bunko. Hmmmm....I discovered that this is why my blasted sisters are so darn skinny after having five children. Their kids start calling them things like "Fat Uncle Bunko" when they get a little curvy! Just the other day as we're out to eat with my sister Kami's family, my niece Jessica turns to me and says, "You and Blair look alike! You both have spiky brown hair and big noses!" Darling, isn't she? She's a great remedy for a big head.

Comments

jaci said…
What fun christmas photos! It looks like a fun reunion with a few cheerleader friends from HS. You guys all look so gorgeous -- wow! How are you liking your dark hair? has i grown on you? do you think you'll stay dark for a while?

I love you guys. Are you both in school this semester?
Ali said…
Sweet Fat Uncle Bunko....how perfect was that post! Thoughtful and hilarious! So glad I got to see you over the break! Miss you lots. xoxo.
anne said…
You and Blair are so cute. The first Christmas together is the best.
Ashley said…
Ash, This is Ashley (Liljenquist). Well it's Ashley Baird now. I had so say hi. I came across your blog when on a blog of another friend of mine. I wanted to say you and Blair are so cute. That is so sweet you married your long time junior high/high school sweetheart!!! You are still so beautiful. It is good to see that you too are so happy. I always knew he would marry you someday!
Marce said…
Ashley, this is Marci (Hartley)- i came across your blog through Jaci's- and i love it! you and Blair are a perfect pair. you look as lovely as ever- hope all is well!
CHELSEY said…
You guys are too cute. Amazing what can happen in a year, isn't it?
Trent and Steph said…
I don't know if you will remember me from High School, but you and and Blair look great. It is fun to see people that you use to know and to see how well they are doing.

Stephanie Sweeten (Olsen)
Megs said…
I just saw you on Maren's blog so I thought I would come and check it out. I love your blog. You and Blair are cute. This is Megan by the way

Popular Posts