Marmie


This week I've thought a lot about my mom. She never fails to be a reservoir of wisdom and knowledge for me. When I was little I remember thinking that she knew the answer to every question I could possibly ask. As I've gotten older I've realized that she has just as many questions as I do, and truly doesn't know the answer to EVERY question. But she seems to know the answers to the important ones. I called her to talk about an issue that I'd had with someone this week. She first reminded me to be kind. That sounds so simple, but I felt like a small child being taught the "golden rule". She told me to think of the insecurities and battles that this person may be facing and to be compassionate toward her. She next reminded me that I needed to act as if nothing in the world that this person could say or do could move me or make me upset. She wasn't suggesting that I act as if I'm an emotionless human. But she told me to practice a certain sense of self control in not reacting to situations. I think there's so much wisdom in that - in refusing to change my behavior simply because someone else can't control theirs. I've also been reading a book about the mothers of all of the U.S. Presidents. They all attribute their character, their ambition, and desire to serve their country to their MOTHERS. I love you, Mom!

Comments

Ash, it made me cry when I read this! I miss you and our marmie so much!! She is such an incredible woman! Thanks for sharing that sweet story. Love you! Linz
mccall said…
Ashley, stop making Lindsay cry! Hee hee... every time I make a stop at your blog, it's a different background picture.
Ashley said…
I know. I'm what I like to call a compulsive room arrangement changer. Since I can't change much about my small apartment, switching up the background pictures on my blog is very therapeutic!!!

Popular Posts