Ohio Trip & Kiddo Updates

This last week we traveled up to Kami's house in Ohio. The kids and I stayed there for a few days while Blair drove up to Chicago for his medical board exams. It was really nice to spend time with Kami and her family. Maddy and Clara are only six months apart. We lovingly call them frenemies at this age. They love playing together one minute and the next minute one or both are crying, yelling, or complaining about something the other did. I'm hoping they'll be best friends in the future and they'll grow out of this stage. Kami has reassured me that all the other cousins went through this at age 3. Fingers crossed!

Every time I'm around Kami I'm inspired by her. She has handled her cancer diagnosis and chemo treatment with such grace and determination. Every morning at the break of day she was down in her basement clocking miles on her exercise bike and elytpical machine. She buzzes around her house and town with energy and spunk. If it weren't for her shaved head, you'd never guess that she even has cancer. It truly is so astounding to me. I hope that if I ever go through cancer or another serious illness, I'll be able to reflect on Kami's example and emulate her attitude and energy. She's done with her chemo now, but facing some difficult decisions about how to proceed with treatment. We're praying that her doctors will be inspired to know how to help her. We need her around for a lot longer!

The kiddos are growing and changing all the time. Maddy is growing up so fast. She's so articulate and smart that sometimes I forget that she's only three. When she's throwing a tantrum or being unreasonable, I have to remind myself that she's still a small little bobbin and I need to have patience. One thing I love about this phase with her is bedtime. Sometimes she's an absolute psychopath at bedtime, but when she's not, it's pretty darn cute. After we say prayers and read books, she wants me to turn out the lights and lay by her. I draw letters on her back and she tries to guess what I've drawn. Then I roll over and she draws letters on my back. She always draws the letter B. She thinks it's hilarious to just keep drawing the same letter over and over again on my back! haha. It usually ends up with us both giggling uncontrollably in her bed like two little school girls having a sleepover. It's my absolute favorite! She asks me to tell her stories about when I was a little girl. She loves to hear about my dog Max and the night the barn started on fire. After I get done telling my story, she then proceeds to tell me a story of her own. She starts out, "When I was a little girl..." and then basically tells the same story I just told with a few minor changes. Pretty hilarious!

Maddy is still enamored with her little brother. I thought the shiny newness of a little baby might wear off by now in her eyes, but it hasn't. Every morning she is so excited to see him and hold him. She loves making him smile and snuggling him. I catch her whispering to him, "I'm so glad you're here. I missed you."

Speaking of Henry...my oh my we are all in love with this little boy. His little spirit is just so full of sweetness. That's all I can think of to describe him. He just has a tender and sweet little soul. He's a good eater and sleeper. He rarely fusses - only when he's tired or hungry. He just discovered his little hands this week and has been staring at them, eating them, and accidentally hitting himself in the face with his little fists. It's sad and really funny at the same time. We just love him so much! Every day I feel so so grateful that he's here. Like Maddy says, "I'm so glad you're here. I missed you."

Other than that, we're busy with work and church callings. I'm serving as the young women's president and I'm really loving it. I don't feel qualified and I have to constantly keep myself from feeling overwhelmed. But when I focus on what matters most, the sweet moments come. I'm grateful to serve with these amazing young women and I'm learning a lot about the Savior's love for each and every one of them.

That's all for this week.

-Ash

Comments

Popular Posts