Fall in Pennsylvania 2015

fall2015

pumpkin2

Fall 2015-3

fall2015-1

pumpkin

fall2015-2

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Fall in Pennsylvania is breathtaking. The hills turn into a kaleidoscope of warm colors and the air is fresh and crisp. We had a great Fall this year - here are some of the highlights.

We enjoyed going on a hay ride at Kohl's Christmas tree farm and picking out pumpkins that we inevitably forgot to carve, but simply let adorn our doorstep for months. The weeks leading up to Halloween were busy with Blair working and me juggling photo sessions with planning the primary sacrament meeting program and the ward Halloween Party. The primary program went swimmingly thanks to the best counselors and music leader this side of the Mississippi. The Halloween Party that I planned was the best ward activity I've ever been to (in my humble opinion- haha!). We started the party with a kids carnival from 6-7. Thereafter, we had a chili cook-off and bake off, followed by a donut eating contest and dancing. I tend to think that our "Mormon" parties are a bit of a drag, with bored adults politely conversing around tables while keeping one eye on their children who are equally as bored but having a harder time disguising it. I think we need a little more "spice" in our culture - more music, more fun, more diversity. I think we pulled that off. My goal next year, however, is to be a little bit less of a "partyzilla" and not obsess over every detail, from decorating to music and food. I need to learn to step back at some point and just enjoy it. Add that to my new year's resolutions...

I'd be amiss if I didn't document the fact that during October we held our annual Willis family Harry Potter Movie Marathon. Those stories are near scriptural in our family (I kid). We love them so much. Somehow it always puts us in the spirit of Halloween and never ceases to remind us of the value of friendship, love, and courage. I cry every time.

On the actual day of Halloween, we went trick or treating around our neighborhood with some friends. We have great neighbors and it was fun to see how much effort some of the people put into celebrating Halloween. Maddy absolutely loved going door to door and getting free candy! Holidays are infinitely more enjoyable when you get to see the magic of your child experiencing things for the first time.

Thanksgiving went largely undocumented except for a few blurry, low quality iPhone photos. Blair had to work, so Maddy and I ventured to Ohio to spend the holiday with Kami's family. Maddy was in heaven with her cousins, surrounded by the happy and unfamiliar cacophony of a house filled with seven kids. Kami and I prepared the food with the help of all of her little ones. I'm always so impressed with how independent, smart, and hard-working her tribe is. I hope I can raise my kids with those same values. We had such a great time with them and I'm already looking at my calendar and planning when we can drive there next.





Comments

Popular Posts